Are carbon wrapped barrels really worth the extra $$ ?

IMG_0333.jpg
When you have to do a lot of walking/hiking they are great. They shoot really well but not better than a good heavy barrel. Just depends on the barrel. But to answer your question the weight savings is the main thing, as a hunter that means a lot to me. If I was a target shooter, I would save money and go with a heavy contour barrel. I personally like the balance and look too much more than a 11lb rig.

Well I'm setting here with 6 rifles in 338 cal. Three of them a 338 Rum and the other three in the 338 Edge . So far I like both styles of barrels . I have a 30 " proof in the Edge it shoots amazing if I do my part . The 338 Rum is a Benchmark Carbon 30 " and shoots tiny groups too.

The kicker for me is the weight difference, my 30" McGowen Edge comes in at 14 .3 pds. The Proof Edge is 10.6 pds. For bench/ prone shooting no difference but packing in miles and miles the carbon rifles win hands down .

Rum Man

First off..Dressing and packing is what the Guide gets paid for! It's his job!
I'll sit and watch..
Secondly almost all innovations in firearms come from competition!
Company's field teams to test and showcase new ideas...Then sell it to the Military
and then everyone "Has" to have one!

Well, if you wanna know who advanced the "sport" of long range hunting I can tell you it wasn't anyone at Williamsport or that has hunted with a 6ppc...

Jack Peterson, John Porter, John Burns, Lee Christensen, John Mogle, Len Backus, Aaron and Mike Davidson, Kirby Allen, Steve West, Bob Beck...those are the guys you should be thanking for the gear you have while in the backcountry getting ready to take a bull at 700+ yards...

You have every right to be wrong! As you are.
Mike Wilson is a better shot than anyone you mentioned!
Most likely better than any two?
And you still haven't produced anything other than opinion that carbon barrels are better? Post some actual numbers or facts..They shoot no better than steel..Face the facts!

Last edited:
Lighter, supposedly stiffer resulting in less barrel whip, cool quicker but not sure if that would apply to a fluted barrel or not. I have both. I must say my proof research barreled rig is the most accurate rifle in my safe. I also have a rock creek barrel that is very accurate. For one to truly test this everything would need to be equal and then a barrel swap done. I think you'd be splitting hairs when all is said and done. However, if you were building a pack rifle where weight is the key, then a carbon wrapped barrel is going to be more accurate as you can get a heavier profile and longer barrel and still stay within your weight requirements.

You have every right to be wrong! As you are.
Mike Wilson is a better shot than anyone you mentioned!
Most likely better than any two?
And you still haven't produced anything other than opinion that carbon barrels are better? Post some actual numbers or facts..They shoot no better than steel..Face the facts!

Um are you talking to me?

I don't know Mike Wilson? What SCI or B&C record animals has he shot?

I don't think I've ever posted that carbon barrels are better than steel...but, yes carbon barrels are lighter than a comparable contour steel barrel, they look cooler, accuracy SHOULD be about the same, both are stiff, are they worth the extra cost? That's for the guy with the cash to decide.

There are two advantages from a Carbon Barrel according to Proof Research carbon Fiber Barrels... weight and the capability to strike a cinder block without leaving a mark, as per their YouTube video.

With that said, I will stick to my Krieger and Bartlein Brands as I have a hammer should I need to break cinder blocks... and I'm pretty strong so the weight factor isn't valuable to me.

Look at what pro back country hunters use not guys who bang large steel plates and call it precision
I'll spare the carbon company name, but the company failed twice at making a carbon barrel in their lightest contour and identical length as a factory 6.5x284 Savage Barrel take off (magnum contour). It was an ounce or two heavier on both attempts. A custom fluted stainless barrel would have been lighter and cheaper (arguable not stiffer, but proof is in the target pudding and have not found a significance difference in hunting scenarios). Also, like most backpack hunters and weight weenies (that's me), there's a trade off between weight and durability. That and we usually venture into mountains above treeline where it's really rocky. I don't like carbon barrels being set or dropped or skid on rocks. Shouldn't happen, but we know it always does. Look at any seasoned goat or sheep hunter's barrels and you'll see lots of battle wounds. I feel SS fairs better than resin IMO. For these reasons and as a backpack hunter (not bench rest), I skip the carbon options. I have several semi custom rifles that all shoot sub MOA out on my 700 yd practice range (some half MOA) and weigh less than 7.5 lbs with high power scopes.

I have a 10-22 in a .17 Mach II. I think it is too light and harder to hold steady. it is accurate.

What are everyone's thoughts on the BSF carbon fiber tensioned barrels, especially since they make bolt action blanks now?

In my opinion the only practical reason to use a carbon barrel is if you prefer a larger stock like a Mcmillan A5 or A3 but you want it to be light. The carbon barrel will fit those stocks and shave off a lot of weight compared to a steel barrel. But it will not be lighter than a #3 in a sporter stock. Both platforms will shoot equally well. Make no mistake, proof makes very good barrels. I have chambered their steel barrels for Br rifles and they hold their own with other top cut barrels.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.