AR mods for accuracy

I've got to echo the Shilen barrel, Wylde chamber. I had a 24" that made poking at golf balls at 300-400y enjoyable. They weren't originally built for super accuracy but have been taken to their extremes - why we now have "tube guns/space guns". Making sure it's assembled well with that good barrel, add a decent trigger and that will make up the bulk of where you should put $ first. You can get "used to" many stocks but several out there make it less a chore, so that's a personal adventure.

My set-up is simple and has been effective across a wide variety of bullets. All hand loaded of course. This includes 77gr smk, 65gr sgk, 55gr vmax, military style 55gr fmj and most recently 62gr steel core (that one was a challenge). 1/2 moa is the norm @ 100yds except the 62gr fmjsc. It produces 1 moa @100 but falls apart beyond 300yds although it is effective beyond that a bit.

WOA 1:7 stainless SPR 18"
Wylde chamber
Free float everything
Clamped adj gas block
Trued face on upper
Faxon light weight bcg
Std buffer
Springco "Hot White" buffer spring
Geissele adj 2-stage flat bow

Soft and smooth shooter even though my loads take full advantage of what the cartridge can handle. Non of that clunky feel.

If I may, I would suggest a Shilen match h-bar profile. 20" in 223 Wylde. It's a 1:8 twist and I run 77 grain Nosler RDF's through it. True the face of the upper. Free float hand guard, as already suggested. Take up any slack between the upper and lower with a rubber button. Add a good trigger. This has worked for me, shooting 600 yard prone matches with a 4x optic. YMMV. Good luck, and have fun.

Thank you for your input. Good luck on your service rifle shooting.

I spin up donated Shilen 7.5T Ratchet Select Match blanks for our TX Juniors High Service Rifle Team. Have 22 blanks for them right now for next year's use.

For the rest of the members. How well the Shilens shoots with properly assembled upper, here is an example. The winner on last Sunday's EIC match is one of our kids. For those not aware what an EIC match is. 50 shot match at 200, 300, and 600... no sighting shots. 200 yards standing slow fire, 200 yards rapid fire, 300 yards rapid fire, 600 yards slow fire. Slow fires are by rules single round loading only.

Two others in that list of distinguished shooters, Mickey, and Hester are our juniors as well. Three on the list are members of the State adult rifle team that won the civilian 6 man match at Camp Perry last year. As you can see Charisma is in with some good shooters.

Another plug for our sponsor, all the distinguished shooters in that match use Shilen barrels.

FYI, I am not in the business, just a hobbyist doing a service for the kids.... the future of our shooting community.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220523-164556_Adobe Acrobat.jpg
    Screenshot_20220523-164556_Adobe Acrobat.jpg
    148.8 KB · Views: 44
Last edited:
A good match barrel or a barrel with the right twist for projectile, from a builder that has good reviews, I have 2 with DPMS barrels and they are spot on have another with a Schilen Match. 2 are 204 Rugers (DPMS) and a 6.5 Grendel (Schilen), all these shoot .5 or better MOA with hand loads. Oh yes and get a good trigger adjustable Elfman has become my go to for the AR Platform. I have others with CMMG and PSA barrels they shoot ok .75 MOA is possible with load development. Factory ammo in any of the above and its a crap shoot.

I have a couple ARs. One is for the zombie apocalypse with all the goodies. I have another that shoots 1.5-2" groups at 100 yards. What would you do to make it a "shooter" ?

I have replaced the trigger and was thinking the barrel next but looking for advice. What are the 2 or 3 most common things you do for these rifles to gain accuracy? When I do my part my bolt rifles are easily sub MOA and I would love to have a semi auto that can shoot well. So….what mods would help increase accuracy?
First, you need to define your definition of "shooter".......0.25MOA or Minute of Man, out to what range. Itty bitty groups and rate of fire are trade offs. When rate firing, one is not implementing shooting techniques needed for maximum accuracy, and vicea versa. If you want bolt gun groups, run it as a bolt gun. If you need rate of fire, run it as a semi gun. You must always "pay the piper" as there are no free lunches. One can't truly "have their cake and eat it too." That said, however, with AR platform, one can fool themselves into "having their cake and eating it too" somewhat by setting the AR up as a dual function semi and bolt gun. You can maximize accuracy by most closely duplicating a bolt gun design. Set up the AR up as a dual function "bolt" and semi gun via a ON/OFF gas block. Turn off the gas action by turning off the gas block to eliminate action movement when maximum accuracy is desired. Turn ON when rate of fire is desired. A side charging upper and BCG facilitates straight pull action operation versus traditional AR charging handle. For true maximum accuracy, set up a dedicated straight pull bolt only upper eliminating the gas block (plugged/non-drilled gas hole), gas tube for true free float barrel. Minimize barrel harmonics via top quality manufacturer's heavy bull shorter barrel (18", max of 20"). Top shooters as Todd Hodnett prefer to give up maximum velocity of longer barrel for consistent minimized harmonics in shorter bull barrel. He states one can consistently dial ballistics for velocity loss, barrel harmonics...NOT. For dual function option, eliminate all possible harmonic contact between barrel and other components......gas tube at barrel nut and gas key. For maximum accuracy. follow all standard bolt gun accuracy techniques....chamber design, shoot the GOOD ammo ES/SD control, COAL, bullet jump, bullet weight/twist, et el. For rate of fire shoot bulk box ammo. Maximum, cost effective accuracy gains typically come from shooter ability gains.....position building, trigger technique, recoil management, wind calls (wind separates the shooters from the trigger yankers....ALWAYS) ......consistency and repeatability. Initially, spend money on ammo for practice before high end equipment. A great shooter can shoot basic gear very well, but a poor shooter will embarrass high dollar gear. Optics performance.......turret dialing precision and repeatability, and optical resolution, etc..... "one can't hit, what one can't see" issue. CONSISTENCY IS KING IN ACCURACY. RELIABILITY IS KING IN RATE OF FIRE. Just sharing a really, really old guy's thoughts and experience. Built in the Forties.....19s, not 18s......all parts still function surprisingly well, DOPE book getting full. The older I get, the faster I was. :) :) :)

My $0.02 has more to do with steps. As said by many ammo is where to start, not sure if you handload. I'd begin with what you have and understand to a great degree what it will do. Money no object a few custom guns were already mentioned so assuming money is not unlimited for this. Pick a known performing bullet like Berger or SMK is you load and just basic workup, nothing crazy, stay at magazine OAL. Or buy some better factory ammo using the same bullets. If the ammo alone doesn't get you there and your handguard is not free float I'd do this one next. After that I'd go the the trigger. Don't think you need a Timney Calvin Elite to get to 1 MOA but a sub-4lb would help a ton. Then for the barrel many options but configuration of length and profile have a lot to do with intended use. For barrels not costing as much as your gun I have had good results with multiple from WOA, but others mentioned here.

The shooting setup is key too. The grip is way below the gun and easy to upset. Every notice how low profile BR guns are, there is a reason. I have found a bipod and a rear squeeze bag easier to get good result with than on a full rest unless you equip with bag riders.

Good luck, let us know how you make out.

JB

Tuning an AR is very similar to a bolt rifle.

- float the barrel
- improve the trigger (lighter, crisper breaking)
- reduce the recoil (brake, suppressor, or cartridge choice)
- lengthen the barrel
- use quality barrel by Bartlein, Kreiger, Lilja, etc.
- align/blue print the bolt
- change stock to an adjustable that fits you better

Different for a gas gun
- align the gas tube so it doesn't interfere
- time your powder type for your setup
-- too fast powder and bolt may not eject brass
-- too slow powder and it will over pressure and slam bolt back damaging it
-- add an adjustable gas block for timing
- crimp your ammo if reloading
- tighten the upper and lower takedown pins and Accuwedge

Last edited:
Thank you for your input. Good luck on your service rifle shooting.

I spin up donated Shilen 7.5T Ratchet Select Match blanks for our TX Juniors High Service Rifle Team. Have 22 blanks for them right now for next year's use.

For the rest of the members. How well the Shilens shoots with properly assembled upper, here is an example. The winner on last Sunday's EIC match is one of our kids. For those not aware what an EIC match is. 50 shot match at 200, 300, and 600... no sighting shots. 200 yards standing slow fire, 200 yards rapid fire, 300 yards rapid fire, 600 yards slow fire. Slow fires are by rules single round loading only.

Two others in that list of distinguished shooters, Mickey, and Hester are our juniors as well. Three on the list are members of the State adult rifle team that won the civilian 6 man match at Camp Perry last year. As you can see Charisma is in with some good shooters.

Another plug for our sponsor, all the distinguished shooters in that match use Shilen barrels.

FYI, I am not in the business, just a hobbyist doing a service for the kids.... the future of our shooting community.
Well done , sir. Thank you for your service, from an old Air Force brat.

A lot of times there is play in the receivers. In my 20" DCM Service Rifle Comp. model I use an Accuwedge. I have seen several videos on YouTube talking about this subject. I have also heard that sometimes there is space between the barrel extension and the upper receiver that can degrade accuracy. I have heard off solutions from like Recon$$ said like using a bedding compound to using a piece of aluminum can.

Most Stag arms rifles group better than you stated. The specs say your rifle has a 1:7 twist rate which should favor the heavier bullets. Why don't you try some 69 grain and 77 grain Black Hills ammo before you rebarrel? It should shoot those into sub-moa. I agree with your trigger change as that certainly helps.

The Stag I have is a 1:8 twist with a crime line barrel. My best groups (sub 2") has been with Black Hills ammo. The bulk stuff opens up to 3-4" pretty consistently which I knew was going to happen. I don't hand load yet for these smaller cartridges but maybe I should start.

Thanks for all the reply's fellas. Appreciate them

I would switch out the barrel and make sure you have a freefloated hand guard. 1:7 if you are shooting the heavier bullets at long range. I have different twists from 1:7 to 1:9
depending on which one I am loading for.
I shoot 77s the most.