AR-15 Value

Discussion in 'AR15/10 Rifles' started by garryh, Nov 25, 2011.

1. garryh

garryh Member

I have the opportunity to buy a a Colt AR-15, serial number is just under 1800. It's in perfect condition, under 1000 rounds through it. What's a rifle like this worth?

2. ICANHITHIMMAN

ICANHITHIMMAN Well-Known Member

What model Colt? Its very hard to say. You can get a new one for under a grand, so unless your a collector of rare ones, I need more info.

3. Silverback7

Silverback7 Well-Known Member

Is there something special about it...what do you plan to do with it. What is the book value what isits shape....etc.etc...

4. garryh

garryh Member

I'll have to get the exact model. Other than being a very low serial number and being in perfect condition there is nothing special about it. I'll continue to keep it in a safe.

5. LouBoyd

LouBoyd Well-Known Member

A picture is worth 1000 words or more in this case. What's "special" can be subtle to collectors.

I don't know of any early Colt AR-15s with just a 4 digit serial number. If it's marked SP018xx then it was made in 1964 and would be a collectors item as only about 2500 were made that year. Does the lower have a factory name engraved? AR-15s of that vintage didn't have forward assist buttons.

You might also ask the same question (with photos) on AR15.Com - Your Firearm Resource. (AR-15, AR-10, M4 Carbine, M16, H&K, SIG, FNH, FAL, AK-47, 50 Cal, M1/M1A, Handgun, Pistol, Training, Hunting, and More!) where there are some knowledgeable collectors.

Value? More than you could buy a new one for if it's in excellent condition.

6. garryh

garryh Member

It's an SP1. I'll have to dig up some pics, we were shooting it this past summer.

7. FAL Shot

FAL Shot Well-Known Member

The least I sold an AR-15 for was $650 (Olympic standard) and the most was $1000 with a cheap scope and mount and detachable handle sight (Colt flat top). All were in great shape.