AR-15 6.Something Gasser

6.5 Grendel ammo?

It' no wonder some ammo shoots good and some don't.

I just finished punching primes out of 54 pieces of brass. I was going to load a few, but of the three boxes of Hornady 123 ELD-M Black I bought...two boxes have small primers, one box normal large rifle primers. I have 14 range pick ups...11 of those not only use small primers the have small flash holes!

Speaking of ammo...when I went to buy primers on the way home I checked a box of Hornady Black on the shelf at the store. Large rifle...so I put the two boxes of small rifle back on the shelf!

One thing that keeps me wondering...all the cold bore shots (first two) shot very consistently. Shots 3, 4, and 5 were all left and a little low????????????

That's strange, all the Hornady Match 6.5 Grendel 123 SST and 123 Amax, all the brand new Hornady brass that I've bought were all SR primers... I haven't been able to try any of that new Hornady Black 6.5 Grendel ammo yet. But it sounds like Hornady needs to get their **** together in the primer department. That could really screw up some folks when reloading, and cause lots of problems down the road. They need to go to strictly SR primers.

Last edited:
Ok...let me recant that...it' an optical allusion.

I just went and mic'd them...they are the same size. SR....I swear they looked larger even after I sat the mic down!

I thought it was crazy to mix production like that.

I'v never used SR primers before...this is the first for me.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.