Appropriate velocity spread

Natty Bumpo

Picked up a chronograph recently and tried it out for the first time this morning. Was evaluating some loads with some new bullets in my .308 Win and checking a practice load I've been using in .223 rem.

So if I'm looking for a load to reach out to 500 or 600 yards with, what's an acceptable velocity spread or standard deviation? And how many shots do you fire to evaluate a load?

I was only firing 5 rounds per load. That not a lot, but I did have one load with a spread of only 12 feet per second (fps) and a standard deviation of 5.0. That seemed pretty good given other loads had spreads of 30-44 fps and higher standard deviations. But it's only 5 shots.

My wife had asked me what I wanted for my birthday. I told her a chronograph and mentioned about what they cost. She knows nothing about rifles and shooting and told me to go ahead and get it myself. A few days later I told her I had gone ahead and ordered the Master Beta. She looked at me like I was some sort of pervert:D!

I know a lot of guys here prefer the CED Millennium; but, Barsness wrote highly of the Shooting Chrony models, so I decided to save a few bucks. Since I typically shoot in the early a.m., bright sunshine affecting readings didn't seem too big a concern.

Any SD lower than 10 is very good but 5 is great.

15 to 20 is about normal

I would say you have a winner if it groups well.

Good shooting
J E CUSTOM

I have shot over the shooting chrony and ced and oehler. The ced and oehler seem to be within 10 fps of each other. The shooting chrony was 50 fps off the other. This was the beta model.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.