Applied Ballistics giving bad windage solutions

orch

hey there,
anyone else find AB gives wonky wind solutions?

i downloaded AB last month after the iOS8 update screwed up Shooter for me (problem has since gone away since they updated shooter for iOS8)

anyways, I finally got out to my 1000 yard range today to play around with my 7mm rem mag and was comparing Shooter's solutions to Applied Ballistic's solutions.
Shooter was giving me solutions that were pretty much spot on with real world results (I had previously calibrated velocity for this load in Shooter), AB was pretty close for elevation solution but was way off for wind solution. Shooter and real world gave me 5.3 moa wind but AB was giving me 13moa as a solution for wind...

I thought maybe i screwed up my atmospheric inputs or something but double checked and everything was the same in both apps... then i started comparing some of the other loads I have in shooter to AB and found for pretty much every single one, AB give a wind solution that is almost double that of shooter as well as some of the loads I have in Ballistic AE.

it is almost like the app is using G7 BC for the elevation (which matches my real world results) but is using the G7 BC value but reads it and calculates it as if it is a G1 BC... ie: bullets G7 bc = .307 and G1 bc = .625

I'm sure it must be something stupid I am missing. Maybe there is something i have set up wrong in the App's settings in the settings menu of my iphone?

If any one else has found this let me know..

Orch

Assuming your wind input is approx. 10mph the 5.3 would seem closer to real world expectations. You've probably already considered scrapping the original input string and starting from scratch. I can't think of any better approach than that.

Yep 10mph wind 3oclock....

I'm thinking it has to be something wrong with the app... I went to applied ballistics web based ballistic calculator and it gives solutions consistent with Shooter and my real world results...I'd assume their app and web based calculator use the same balistics engine.... Just is weird it gives good elevation solutions and crap wind solutions... I've tried putting in identical new loads in both Shooter and AB and AB always gives wind solutions that are over double shooter...

It's not the end of the world, I'll just keep using Shooter, just sucks to have ponied up the cash for Applied Ballistics to find it isn't giving me good data...

Orch

Good idea to check target speed. Also check to see what you have for horizontal sight scale factor. It should be 1.0 for a scope that tracks correctly. Final thing, horizontal zero offset.

shooter and all the applied ballistics apps all use the same core ballistics algorithm. You should get the same solution out of all of them for a given set of inputs. If that's not the case then either you found a bug or there something in the input set that is not correct.

-Bryan

Target speed is zero and even set direction to head on (0 degrees) and wind is out the same amount for 3 o'clock 9 o'clock in corrolation to the input wind direction, wind sight correction factor is 1.0 and windage zero offset is zero... I'm at a loss?
I've started new gun and ammo profiles, disabled spin drift, disabled zero atmosphere tried with both g7 and g1 bc's... No matter what I try, every single load profile I have put in gives me almost double wind solution compared to any other of the ballistic apps I have tried...
I'm thinking it's gotta be a bug.... I'm gonna delete and reinstall and see if that fixes it...
Bryan, if the reinstall doesn't fix it is there anything I could send u guys as far as data off my phone that could help trouble shoot or bug fix if other people find the same problem?

Thanks,
Orch

Ok, deleted and fresh install... New gun/load profile gives me the same results... I'm at a loss....
Did notice one review on the App Store mentioning buggy windage problems....
Bryan, Is this a conspiracy against canadian shooters?!?!, reviewer's username was Long Range Canadian 99, and I swear I'm not him!!!!

Orch

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.