Aoudad & Eland with Ahrens Ranch & Wildlife

79m1a-texas

Just got back last night from a 5 day hunt with Calan Ahrens of Ahrens Ranch and Wildlife. He has been been written up on this site before. Ranch is 35,000 acre - all free range. Terrain is tough. Don't expect anything easy about the hunting. Took a buddy out there for his 1st Aoudad. Saw hundreds of animals every day. You might be lucky to get a shot under 200 yards, but be prepared for much longer. Spot and stalk style of hunting. Need good spotting spot and binoculars. Last day buddy took a skylined Gold Medal ram at 550 yards, with a 300WM, 212g ELD-X bullet. Ram scored over the Gold Metal Level.
I had the chance to take a free range Livingston Eland and that was just pure luck. Maybe 20 bulls in the herd. Mine was a solo traveler.
The food was 1st class and might have even gain weight. Great Outfitter, knows the ranch like the back of his hand. Answers questions very quickly. Planning another hunt with him.

Attachments

• Best - IMG_5675.JPG
    Best - IMG_5675.JPG
    2.8 MB · Views: 237
  • Best - IMG_5706.JPG
    Best - IMG_5706.JPG
    3.1 MB · Views: 194
What would you compare the eland meat to flavor wise? Not sure why but that was the first thing that popped in my head when I saw the pics.
Congratulations nice trophies and it sounds like a good hunt!

We had one of the tenderloin that evening. Could cut it with a fork. I heard a little sweeter than Elk. Ask me again in about 2 weeks. I will have the backstraps and tenderloin in ice for the next 10 days

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.