Anyone use a 10 gauge?

I've got 2 single shot stevens in 10 ga , and a semi auto in 10 ga. I've killed several turkeys with the old single shots. And 1 with the automatic . My dad before he passed away loaded me up like 6 boxes of shells for those heavy lead slingers. They eat lots of shot per shell for sure

I started in my late teens hunting turkey with a Marlin bolt action, super goose 10. Sold it and bought a Browning BPS 10 w/24" barrel. Ended up selling it and buying a New England Firearms, single barrel 10 w/24" barrel. It's the same as the old H&R shotguns. The NEF 10 is much more maneuverable, plus it's threaded for Browning chokes.
9E9FD0EF-BFC5-433C-AE9C-D33C1D7BBF9D.jpeg

Back when I was younger and tougher, dumber, whatever, I used a 10 gauge Browning BPS for ducks. It was an absolute hammer. I would far rather shoot a 10 gauge than 3.5 12 gauge. The weight of the 10 helps with recoil. Recoil never seemed as sharp with the 10 compared to the 3.5 twelve. On paper, the 3.5" 12 gauge loads would seem to compare equally and even outperform the 10. I have shot both. Hunted with both. There is something about the 10 that gives it noticeably better on game performance. I had a lot fewer cripples when shooting the 10. Mine preferred number 1s or Drylock 1 5/8 oz 2s. Lead 4s for turkeys In a 2 1/4oz load. Perhaps shorter shot string, better patterns, I don't know, but there is some intangible there. That thing would absolutely dishrag ducks.
The biggest issue with the 10 for me nowadays is ammunition cost. Also the titanium plate in my neck makes shooting heavy loads in any gauge painful.

I have a Browning 10ga set up for turkey hunting.Using TSS shot it is crazy how many pellets it will put in a 10 inch circle at 40 yards.Over 400 by the way.It is heavy so I do not use it very often.
Sounds like you might be picking quite a few pellets from the breast even though you took it's head off!

Mine was the 24" barreled version and yes is was certainly heavy. I noticed the weight most while turkey hunting. I repaired an Ithaca Mag 10 for a guy last year and it was quite heavy but a good shooter. The Browning Gold "light" 10 was the better feelin gun of the bunch. I almost "bit" on one when I was using the 10 a lot.

I don't know why we love to be punished so much as hunters. It must be just the feeling power and showing how tough we are. I'm guilty of this. I shot a buddies 10 duck hunting and acted like it was no big deal, but it hurt like hello. I started shooting 12 ga 3 1/2" and it isn't much better. I would come back from hunting ducks in Arkansas with bruises on my shoulder and knots on the back of my head from the back of the blind. I seem to forget about the pain and only remember the fun.

We've had a "nuisance" season here for Canadian geese for as long as I can remember. We were allowed to take 5 geese per day. I always used my Browning 10ga autoloader and was able to drop fat geese at more than 60yds without difficulty. I would frequently hunt with the same two accomplished shotgunners and we would take 15 geese in the first 1/2 hour and then go to work. I never found the autoloader to be punishing but I'd imagine a pump gun or single shot 10ga would get your attention.

I purchased an excellent condition Ithaca Mag 10, bought a single stage loader and components to put together variety of shot sizes/types for different applications.

Loaded with the new TSS stuff and TPS wads (based off advice from this forum), it's my new love for killing coyotes. I have a 3.5 in 12 ga, I just always a semi auto 10 GA.

The Ithaca is big, heavy and beautiful, it's a killing machine, very easy to shoot.

The death of the 10 gauge was the 12 gauge 3 1/2 in mag. It operates at a slightly higher pressure and can still launch two plus ounces of shot. The 10 is 11 the 3.5 inch 12 is 14. So given an equal 2.25 oz load the 12 actually our performs. I'd love a 10 for nostalgia but the reality is a modern 3.5 inch 12 will hammer harder with better available platforms.

The death of the 10 gauge was the 12 gauge 3 1/2 in mag. It operates at a slightly higher pressure and can still launch two plus ounces of shot. The 10 is 11 the 3.5 inch 12 is 14. So given an equal 2.25 oz load the 12 actually our performs. I'd love a 10 for nostalgia but the reality is a modern 3.5 inch 12 will hammer harder with better available platforms.
It seemed like the 10 was already losing popularity but the 3.5 12 really pretty much sealed the deal.