Anyone tried the Sig sauer whiskey 5?

Sorry to hijack your thread. Broz I tried to send you a pm but it said your message box was full. Do have any hands on experience with the Sig Sauer Oscar spotting scopes?

Sorry to hijack your thread. Broz I tried to send you a pm but it said your message box was full. Do have any hands on experience with the Sig Sauer Oscar spotting scopes?

Sorry I cleared a few.

No experience with the spotters, but I have reviewed the Zulu 7 bino's and that is what I use today.

Jeff

Jeff,
Thanks for getting back to me. It was your review of the Zulu 7 that made me go look at them myself and now own a pair. Thanks any way.

Jeff,

I just mounted a whiskey 5 3-15x44 on a new Tikka T3 308. It's just the basic plex reticle. I've got some loads worked up and have cleaned out the shipping gunk (technical term ya know) from the barrel. All I need is a little range time to see how it works. I'm hoping to take it out tomorrow and try it out.
I'll report back when I can.

Ok, here's the results of my run through with the Whiskey 5.

Optics:
I compared the Whiskey 5 to a Zeiss Conquest HD 3-15x42, Minox ZA5 HD 3-15x42, a V6 Leupold 3-18x 50(?) and an older Swarovski PH 3.5-10x40.

The Leupold was the 'brightest' but not by much to my eyes. Whiskey 5 was just a bit less transmittal of light. Could have been the difference in objective size, not sure. The Whiskey 5 was on par with the Zeiss HD and definitely an improvement over the Minox. Objects were nice and sharply defined. It's not a V6 or other 'high-end' scope but it was better than the 25 year old Swarovski.

Test bed: Tikka T3 308 hunting rifle. I had some rounds I'd loaded for another 308 and sighted in the rifle. One of the things I liked about the Whiskey right off the bat was as soon as you have it sighted in both the horizontal and vertical adjustments can be set to '0'. Making dialing for drop/windage quite easy. (I'm a rookie on dialing).

I then 'boxed' the target and found the adjustments as accurate as the load would let me. Dropping 3 MOA from the first shot, then left 6, then up 12 then right 12 then down 12 then 6 then back up to center. The box was a bit whompy-jawed (that's a technical term down here) but the shots lined up fairly well. I'll try it again once I've worked a load up for the rifle.
The groups on this load weren't perfect for the Tikka, averaging 3-shot groups around 1-1.25" @ 100 but, it's what I had available. I ran 5 shots over the magnetospeed to come up with an average velocity of just under 2600 fps and ran it through a ballistics calculator a friend has (don't know which one).
We then used his drop chart to try his 350 yard target. The chart called for 7.25 MOA drop and the initial shot was low. Raised it to 8 MOA and started ringing the 12" gong.
All in all I'm very pleased with the Whiskey 5.

If there's one thing I wish was included it would be some form of lens cover to keep the dust/dirt off the lenses.

The Whiskey 5 is a very good scope in my books for the money spent.

I still want to run a straight-line test on it to see how tracking does. First though, to find a load this rifle likes.

always had good luck with 43.6gr of varget and 178 amax

shoots in all 3 of mine, and a few buddies

Ok, today's weather wasn't the best, but this is WTX. Temps from upper 40's to mid 50's. 6 o'clock to 7:30 winds of 15-20 with gusts to 25 (these were mostly the 7:30 winds).
I've got 19 lbs of IMR4064, so guess what I used?
I'll check the best loads next time for repeatability then work on the straight-line test. I see where someone ran the test on the Tango 4 scope so I'm hoping with an accurate load I can find out more.
I'd also like to see just how many revolutions this 'hunting' scope will go.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.