Anyone shooting lead bullets in there 357sig?

muskrat7387

I'm looking for some powder charges for some cast bullets in 357sig. My mold is Lee 356-tc-120. Powders I have on hand are 296,herco,bluedot,h380,little gun,reddot,and imr4227. Any information on these powders with this bullet would be helpful thanks.

Never dealt with a 357 Sig. But in my service 357 Mag. Herco was one of the best powders I used. I was using Rem Primers and 150 Gr. Keith style bullet from a Lyman mold. Has quite a bit of graphite coating which makes it a little dirty but, Gave good accuracy and speed. I checked my Lyman books and they are to old to have info on the 357 Sig. lyman should have loading data you could use.

I've never heard of anyone doing so. In my Glock 31C .357 Sig I shoot Hornady Critical Defense or Winchester PDX factory ammo. I normally carry Federal HST's in my guns, but I don't think they make them for .357 Sig. Also, I don't reload for any of my semi-auto pistols, just my revolvers in .357 Mag and .44 Mag.

Thanks for your reply guys. Midway sells lead bullets specifically for the 357sig. I have the new Lyman manual but it doesn't list any lead load data. I seen on some other forums guys useing the mold I have in the SIG's with good results but with different powders than I have. I was just hoping someone had tryed some of the powders I have..also looking for some data on 9x25 Dillon if anyone has any..

I used to shoot quite a few lead bullets through my P229 in 357 Sig. They worked great once I found the right recipe. The slower powders didn't burn thoroughly enough for my liking. They shot just fine but left a lot of unburned powder behind that tended to gum things up. I settled on Unique and had good results. I think anything toward the faster burning side of your load data would work well. Don't do max loads or you'll lead the bore pretty quickly. A moderate load that cycles the action reliably is what you're after.

Thanks for your reply. Do you happen to remember how many grains you were shooting? And what grain bullet? Mine are casting around 120 grains...

I've never heard of anyone doing so. In my Glock 31C .357 Sig I shoot Hornady Critical Defense or Winchester PDX factory ammo. I normally carry Federal HST's in my guns, but I don't think they make them for .357 Sig. Also, I don't reload for any of my semi-auto pistols, just my revolvers in .357 Mag and .44 Mag.

They do, it's what I carry, always have to order them online though.

https://www.ammunitiondepot.com/1194-federal-premium-hst-357-sig-125-grain-hp.html

****! $33 a box... I normally get my .45 HST's at the local LEO distributor, and they're a good bit cheaper than that. I haven't been there in a couple years, so they might have some in there... I guess I should go look. But to have some HST's for my 31C might be worth ordering a few boxes...

Box of 50 though, that's pretty cheap for me. Around here most defensive ammo I see is $1 a shot and in boxes of 20.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.