Anyone Shooting 7mm Hammer Hunters?

Timnterra

I am putting in for a depredation elk hunt in a national park and they require lead free ammo. Ive decided to use my 7mm-300win mag for the hunt, if i get drawn, but I have never used lead free bullets of any kind. I know guys love the hammer bullets and I'm sure thy will be the one of the best options out there. I hate to shoot up $150 worth of bullets to develop a load. Anyone shooting these out of a 7-300, Id love to hear your experiences.

You can shoot any of them with the 8 twist. I would go with the 169 or 177 grain. You won't need to shoot too many to develop a good load. I haven't shot any in 7-300, but I have in a couple 280AI and a couple 28 Nos. ( and a few 6.5 Grendels and CM's) All of them shot great with very little load development.

That 177 would be my choice in that chambering and twist. I am working on a load for a buddy from california, but he has a factory remington barrel, so the 143 is what we are limited to.

I have not shot any yet, but I have a box of 285's for my .338 Norma Mag, and then the 7mm 143's are on order. From talking with steve and others here, just start at your longest OAL, eaither mag box or a little off the lands, .020" or so, whichever comes first, and start working up till you see pressure and you will usually find a good accurate load. I guess you usually don't need to adjust seating depth to find accuracy....and start with load data from a similar weight lead bullet, and you will generally end up a little higher charge with a little more speed than a similar lead bullet.

All just things I have read and spoke to steve about with the hammers, no first hand experience yet, so take that for what it's worth. Good luck, please let us know what you figure out.

I use the 143s at 3500 FPS in my 28. Ran em up over 3600 with rl26, but settled with h1000 at 3500. 300 yd zero and don't really have to think about a shot til after 400 yds. You typically have more time to run your dope beyond that range. It's a good setup and I don't worry about em blowing up at close range. 177s would be better for dedicated LR loads but that MPBR Of 400 plus was pretty attractive to me.

Last edited:
Not your 7-300 but will share my limited experience... Had great time with load development and performance. (Whitetail) My mistake was loading so many different seating depths and two different powders. Most just shot great went thru the first box of 50 pretty fast with a fair amount to use hunting. One shot and done this year.

131 in .280AI rl-26 IMG_2339.JPGIMG_2344.JPG entrance and exit.

Only thing I would change is to get more at once save on shipping.

Joe

I am using the 177 gr hammer hunters in my 7mm Sherman Max. I am testing RL26 right now. Thought I had found a load for them but it is just at too high a pressure and will trash my brass. So I will drop it down to the next node that I know is not too high on pressure. It will be going around 2950-2960 fps. I am also going to try H1000 which I would recommend with your cartridge. 177 gr HH and H1000 or H4831SC should be a great combination for you.

Let us know how your reloading goes.
My experience with monos has been the ease of dialing them in. Although lacking in sectional density, much can be said for having zero core concentricity issues. Expansion of about 2x is standard from those bullets recovered. Hammers are designed to lose weight, and most others are not. Not judging one from the other, but a difference.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.