Anyone shoot a 7mm-08 - 154gn SST Load?

idfishnhunt

I've had pretty good success shooting a 139gn SST out of our 7mm-08's. I'd like to work on developing a load for the 154gn SST. Looking at the ballistic data though it doesn't seem like I'm gaining a lot by jumping up in bullet grain size.

With the 154gn I lose velocity, and with this loss the added energy I would have gained actually pretty much evens out with the same numbers I get from a faster 139gn bullet.

I am somewhat new at reloading, but I am trying to determine if I will actually have any advantages with using the 154gn bullet, or maybe I should just stick to the 139gn.

Thanks for any comments or suggestions.

I have the 708 in an Ackley Improved. I have been shooting the AB 140 at 2950 fps. I have some of the SST 154s but haven't tried them yet. I am shooting 44g of RL 15. The gun has enough accuracy shoot 600 years safely at deer sized game. I have been interested in trying them, but my 3/4" groups at a good speed just don't spur me to experiment.

Let me know how it turns out.

I'm getting 2840 fps using 47gns of IMR4350 right now. I was going to try H4350, Varget, and I might have to try that RL15, sounds like a pretty good load.

I've thought about the Accubonds and Interbonds, but for the price of the SST's and as much shooting as I do, it's a tough change to have to make.

I'm getting 2840 fps using 47gns of IMR4350 right now. I was going to try H4350, Varget, and I might have to try that RL15, sounds like a pretty good load.

I've thought about the Accubonds and Interbonds, but for the price of the SST's and as much shooting as I do, it's a tough change to have to make.

The RL15 did really well for me. The max load in nosler for a standard 708 is 41.5 grains. I'm at 44 because of the extra case capacity of the ackley cartridge.

I loaded for a friend of mine and his used 42 grains and went about 2850.

Makes sense...I heard Ackley's usually give another 100 fps. I take it you had that custom made? I'm a big fan of the 7mm-08. I don't think there is really anything bad to say about it. I won't get too detailed though as to all the things I admire about it as I wouldn't want all the 30 caliber guys to start in on me :rolleyes:

Makes sense...I heard Ackley's usually give another 100 fps. I take it you had that custom made? I'm a big fan of the 7mm-08. I don't think there is really anything bad to say about it. I won't get too detailed though as to all the things I admire about it as I wouldn't want all the 30 caliber guys to start in on me :rolleyes:

It wasn't custom made by me, but yes, the prior owner had it done. I actually won a 22 250 and traded for it. I thought I was getting a look regular caliber but when I picked it up, I noticed the ackley improved stamped on the barrel. The shop didn't notice either. It to a yes to get a load and another 3 months to special order the dies. $140 later I could reload. I custom bedded the stock, trigger is stock. Its my black tail gun. I'm actually build another with savage action and unknown stock and unknown barrel. Looking for 3150fps out of a 26" barrel. We will see.

It's all good. I'm a 30 cal guy at heart; I've probably shot more 30 cal. and killed more critters with 30 cal. than all others combined. That said, 7mm is a close second for me and it's a heck of a cal..

To the O.P.....
With the standard 7-08 I'd look at h414 for max. speed at safe pressure with 140 grain. I really don't think you would gain much stepping up in bullet weight with this small of a 7mm, but the silhouette guys that use the 7-08 usually use rather heavy slugs so who am I to question it. The biggest problem I see is time of flite; it does get a bit longer with the slower pills which means more lead on moving game.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.