Anyone seen or tried these new scopes just featured....

They just got a great review in one of the major Magazines. They let the guys work with 22's the first day and then cut them loose with .308's on the second day. After plinking all day and getting used to the scopes the first day (with the 22's) the guys said they were hitting gongs to 800 yds with match grade .308 ammo like clockwork the 2nd day. It might take a while but with good competition I think we're going to see economical scopes like these with windage and 50 yard increments in the reticles real soon from some of the "majors".

[ QUOTE ]
I think we're going to see economical scopes like these with windage and 50 yard increments in the reticles real soon from some of the "majors".

[/ QUOTE ]

i sure hope not.

I don't understand the last post. Maybe I should have been clearer about my desires. I sure don't expect a decent, perfectly calibrated ballistic plex scope for under $150. But think it would be neat to get something decent at say $150-290. (I don't think it will happen overnight but I do think it will come soon.) I don't think scopes like this should have to cost $5-800??

Dont take it personally, but those scope only promote one thing in the hunting community. "hunters" taking shots that they have not practiced for because their reticles are set for the yardages.

me personally. i would practice all summer with a scope with target turrets and dial in the precise range. And know my limitations before i went hunting.

Hunting at long range can be very rewarding if the proper time has been put in to make it a second nature. But one bad shot can ruin the sport all together.

jm2cw

d-a

I understand your feelings. But there's probably not a whole lot of difference between an "unpracticed" guy with a ballistic plex vrs a guy that got a "click chart" off an internet program that hasn't practiced with them. Still I see where the "inexperienced" might "assume" all is well using the ballistic reticle and go to the field and use it. Perhaps the scope makers should advertise the ease of use but put a big bold disclaimer in the box with the scope about the ethics of long range hunting??

[ QUOTE ]
I sure don't expect a decent, perfectly calibrated ballistic plex scope for under $150.

[/ QUOTE ]I sure don't expect a decent, perfectly calibrated ballistic plex scope for any price. One perfectly calibrated has to be done so with the ballistics of your ammo in your rifle under the specific atmospheric conditions when actual firing tests are made to get the aiming mark spacing set to. Once shots are taken under any other conditions there will be errors. To say nothing of the changes in muzzle velocity caused by barrel wear which means the aiming marks will be perfect for only a few hundred shots.

They are similar and I think made by Tasco, the .22lr ones does work with a Winchester PP and a 22" barrel.

But as with all thing Japan interms of optics they are crap.

Bart--you probably have more long range experience than I but I do own a couple of premiere reticle equipped rifles and some burris ballistic plexes. I have a computer program that forecasts the effects of different bc's and then gives matching yardages to the cross marks based on the moa the marks are set at. Practice confirms and adjusts it from there. There is no real need to have the yardages exactly in 100 yd increments as the animal isn't likely to stand exactly at 100yd, 200yd, 300yd etc. Regarding barrel wear you make it sound like after a couple of hundred rounds you can't duplicate the same velocity of a new gun?? That has me confused. I realize that temp and atmosphere also have an effect but will also have the same effect on adjusting by clicks. I still say there are shooters out there that do like reticles with hold over marks and can use them very effectively.

[ QUOTE ]
Regarding barrel wear you make it sound like after a couple of hundred rounds you can't duplicate the same velocity of a new gun?

[/ QUOTE ]With the same load specs with a way overbore powder charge, a 25 fps drop in average muzzle velocity can happen in a few hundred shots, especially when pressure is very high with a lot of powder. There's less resistance to the bullet as the throat erodes away. At 1000 yards that could mean a 7 to 10 inch change in bullet drop. So the reticule marks are no longer perfect.

You can duplicate the original muzzle velocity with a bit more powder.

I love ballistic reticles out to intermediate ranges. I have 1 of the PFI RR 22 LR 3-9X 32mm's on an XP-100 20 BR handgun that's gonna be used for coyotes come winter. So far i like it. Haven't actually shot it yet, but optics seem bright and clear enuf for a 32mm scope. The reticle is no different than any other optic that has more than 1 stadia in it when used for zeroing or windage. Jacob Gottfredson wrote it up in 1 of the PS's awhile back-- good review i thought. I like direct windage reference along the reticle, which is why i like the system-- sort of a mini-Horus Vision. My favorite of the reticles tho is their RR600. The 22LR reticle i have is way more than usable for 5-600 yd. shooting. They will provide a breakdown on all the stadia subtensions if u ask them for it.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.