Anyone own a Weatherby Ultra Lightweight?

KillerBee

I purchased a Weatherby Ultra Lightweight in 300 Win Mag the other day and was wondering what MOA you are achieving with yours, using the factory barrel? Thanks

I have one in 7mm rem mag . factory bbl , factory stock , factory trigger . it will shoot under 1 moa out to 600 yards . this is as far as I've shot it . I only shoot 3 shot groups , the thin bbl heats up fast .

here is a target from this past Sept I was getting ready to go west . 550 yards shot from a bipod with no other support .

At 550 yards that looks good to me what is the diameter of the white circle? Nice shooting, everyone of them shots is a kill shot for sure!

What ammo were you using and how long does it take to cool down the barrel? Thanks

the rifle will shoot better of a bench with sand bags . I was shooting this target as I would be hunting . the target is 1" squares , so it's a 6" white circle . I'm shooting 160 accubond , win brass , fed 215 primer , 66.0 gr RL22 powder . in the cooler outside temps the bbl cools pretty quickly , I'd guess 5 minutes or so . in the summer heat it takes awhile , I'll guess 15 minutes or more . as I keep shooting it heats up quicker and cools slower .

the rifle will shoot better of a bench with sand bags . I was shooting this target as I would be hunting . the target is 1" squares , so it's a 6" white circle . I'm shooting 160 accubond , win brass , fed 215 primer , 66.0 gr RL22 powder . in the cooler outside temps the bbl cools pretty quickly , I'd guess 5 minutes or so . in the summer heat it takes awhile , I'll guess 15 minutes or more . as I keep shooting it heats up quicker and cools slower .

Like I said jimbries that's pretty darn good shooting! Like you I am only a hunter and if I can get the same type of results using factory loads I will be pleased.

Typically when I am getting ready for the season I use the hood of my truck to lean on is all, I don't carry shooting sticks when I am hunting. With this rifle I will be breaking in the barrel and testing several different loads so I will break down and buy a Lead Sled and put in some range time . The loads I will be testing to start with are the following:

Nosler Trophy Grade ABLR 190 Gr.
Nosler Custom Hand Loaded 200 Gr.
Barnes VOR-TX - TTSX BT 180 Gr.
Hornady Superformance SST 180 Gr.

Like I said jimbries that's pretty darn good shooting! Like you I am only a hunter and if I can get the same type of results using factory loads I will be pleased.

Typically when I am getting ready for the season I use the hood of my truck to lean on is all, I don't carry shooting sticks when I am hunting. With this rifle I will be breaking in the barrel and testing several different loads so I will break down and buy a Lead Sled and put in some range time . The loads I will be testing to start with are the following:

Nosler Trophy Grade ABLR 190 Gr.
Nosler Custom Hand Loaded 200 Gr.
Barnes VOR-TX - TTSX BT 180 Gr.
Hornady Superformance SST 180 Gr.

I'm not a fan of the lead sleds. They have been known to crack a stock or two on heavy recoiling rifles. I also don't think you get accurate shooting because the pressure on the stock is not the same as your shoulder. I loadwork and zero rifles exactly the same as I'll be hunting. Which is usually on a 9" bipod and rear support bag. And I do notice a change in POI between shooting from a bipod and shooting from sandbags or other support.

I'm not a fan of the lead sleds. They have been known to crack a stock or two on heavy recoiling rifles. I also don't think you get accurate shooting because the pressure on the stock is not the same as your shoulder. I loadwork and zero rifles exactly the same as I'll be hunting. Which is usually on a 9" bipod and rear support bag. And I do notice a change in POI between shooting from a bipod and shooting from sandbags or other support.

That is very interesting! Never owned one before, was never a fan either. After watching several videos, I thought it was the right way to do it. Like I said earlier, all I have ever done is to put a packsack on the hood of my truck to zero my rifles and practice even out to 500 yards.

What you are doing makes complete sense to me, and that is exactly the way I will break in the rifle and test the ammo.

What about this set up for testing:

sc8tMfQ.jpg

with

VmnOE1A.jpg

or this:

wfS9b6B.jpg

or this?

QdsmIxr.jpg

Also with a new rifle testing multiple rounds, at what range do you do your testing? I was thinking 100 yards to start.

Thanks for the tip ShootnMathews :eek:)

sounds like a plan . let us know how you make out with this .

You bet I will buddy, have my fingers crosses on the Nosler ABLR's since they provide the best performance, according to Nosler's load data anyway. Want as much knock down power as I can get with this rifle out of factory loads.

Last edited:

I have been using lead sled since 2008 without any problems. Those that I know that had cracked stock problems used excessive counter weight to eliminate recoil (instead of reducing it) ... the weakest link (in this case the rifle stock) will reveal itself in due time. I don't use any counter weight as IMHO, the sled provide enough to reduce the recoil.

Mine comes very handy during load development and barrel break-in (as I can transition from shooting to cleaning and back to shooting again with ease ... it also makes a secure cleaning station).

I also put a $1.99 straps to secure the rifle (but I never tighten it during shooting) as I have knocked my rifles one too many times for gravity check. :rolleyes:

SWFA%205-25x50%20SS%20HDFPP%201%20of%203_zpswv5nivdn.jpg

Because I cannot get the best cheek weld and cradle with the sled, I refine my loads for my hunting set-up (bipod and rear support on bench and then prone) as required. If I can shoot a nice group without the best cheek weld/cradle, I know I can always do better with it prone. :):Dgun)

lightbulbWhen used accordingly, a lead sled has it's place but understands it's not for everybody and boils down to personal preference.lightbulb

Cheers!

Well went to the store to buy the bullets and rest. Picked up the Caldwell Deadshot front and rear shooting rests because I wanted to keep it as natural as possible.

0O8DXIf.jpg

They didn't have the bullets in stock that I wanted to try, except for the Hornady Superfomance in 180 Gr. Now to shop around to locate the Nosler Trophy Grade ABLR 190 Gr., Nosler Custom Hand Loaded 200 Gr. and Barnes VOR-TX - TTSX BT 180 Gr. and it's off to the range for me. gun)

Good job at 600y. I hope my .270 Wby Mag Saco Fibremark does as well when I shoot it at 600 soon. Its sub moa at 425y holding a 3.75" 3 shot group. Am hoping for same at 600.

thanks silvertip . good to hear from you . by the sounds of your 425 yard target I think you'll be just fine at 600 . my rifle has always been a decent shooter , and I usually shoot it well .

thanks silvertip . good to hear from you . by the sounds of your 425 yard target I think you'll be just fine at 600 . my rifle has always been a decent shooter , and I usually shoot it well .

Hey buddy, I was wondering if you ever shot VOR-TX TTSX BT through your Ultra Lightweight? I heard that these particular barrels like them. In my last lightweight rifle which was a tack driver I used Nosler Trophy Grade Accubonds and I liked the results, the animals hated it! hehe

I did shoot 160 grain TSX bullets in this rifle . I had really good accuracy . I just did not get the on game performance like I want , or expect . I took three animals with this bullet and the results were all the same . I stopped using them . a lot of guys really like the barnes bullets . all you can do is give them a try .

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.