Anyone own a 7mm 300 Win Mag?

I'd certainly hope to not part as friends, but too remain as friends :D, I don't get angry over a different viewpoint. I asked for your view & am glad too hear it. Thank you. Hundreds of Wildcats, wow!!. The only wildcat I've delt with before was the 30-338 & that was only because I was issued a competition rifle chambered for it. Actually unlike most I don't consider the 30-338 a Wildcat. It was a Wildcat in the beginning. Then Army MTU got LC too produce a few runs of match ammo making it legit. Then it was orphaned again, soo technically I guess it would be an obscure, obsolete military ctg.

But back too the matter at hand. My ? about the double radius Weatherby shoulder had nothing to do with burn rates or venturi effects. It was about feed. Will a Weatherby shoulder feed better than a traditional shoulder taking the same longitudinal space? It'd take a pretty steep shoulder too match it maybe 35-40 degrees? I honestly don't know the answer which is why I asked. It seems too me it might, but I don't know?

Can we get this thread back on the topic? It's hard enough to sift through the many pages of info without adding a bunch of posts with nothing pertaining to the 7-300Win.

Actually it does sorta pertain. I'm considering having a reamer made that will use 300 Win mag necked down too 7 mm with a bit longer neck than the std 7mm/300 & am debating using a Weatherby type shoulder or not. I want too kill 3 or 4 birds with 1 stone. Extend a 7 mm Weatherby enough that it will clear an out a 7 mm Rem chamber. Utilise cheaper 300 Win mag brass. Gain just a bit of capacity. Extend the life of a 7 mm Weatherby barrel by cleaning out the burnt out throat. Would not such a ctg be a type of 7mm/300?

Last edited:
I am not trying to be a jerk. It sounds like you should start a separate thread so others can see your question. If it were my build I would not make it more complicated. Just neck down the 300 and go. The 7mm Weatherby is really no different than a 7 Rem Mag. A 7-300 Weatherby is really no different than an STW. The 7-300 has some advantages one of which is no extra set of dies for people like me who already have 300 Win dies. It really requires no fire forming which is just a waste of an already short barrel life. Typically bullets like to shoot in a velocity node so most of the time a less efficient cartridge that is capable of going faster but can not hit the next node is just wasting powder and barrel life. I love speed and I love weird cartridges but sometimes it is just a waste of time and money. The 180 hybrid node seems to be around 3175fps. The 7-300 does it with less powder than the larger cartridges. The 7 Rem Mag can't get there.

I am not trying to be a jerk. It sounds like you should start a separate thread so others can see your question. If it were my build I would not make it more complicated. Just neck down the 300 and go. The 7mm Weatherby is really no different than a 7 Rem Mag. A 7-300 Weatherby is really no different than an STW. The 7-300 has some advantages one of which is no extra set of dies for people like me who already have 300 Win dies. It really requires no fire forming which is just a waste of an already short barrel life. Typically bullets like to shoot in a velocity node so most of the time a less efficient cartridge that is capable of going faster but can not hit the next node is just wasting powder and barrel life. I love speed and I love weird cartridges but sometimes it is just a waste of time and money. The 180 hybrid node seems to be around 3175fps. The 7-300 does it with less powder than the larger cartridges. The 7 Rem Mag can't get there.

So u wish this thread to be limited to 1 particular version of the 300 Win Mag necked too 7mm? Care to define which version you think the thread should be limited too?

look I am not going to respond to any argument fishing posts but the thread is labeled "anyone own a 7mm 300 Win Mag?" so, yes, I would say that is what it should be about. Most people searching this thread are looking for information about the 7-300 Win Mag. Anything other than a necked down 300 Win Mag is an Improved version and would be best served with a separate thread.

look I am not going to respond to any argument fishing posts but the thread is labeled "anyone own a 7mm 300 Win Mag?" so, yes, I would say that is what it should be about. Most people searching this thread are looking for information about the 7-300 Win Mag. Anything other than a necked down 300 Win Mag is an Improved version and would be best served with a separate thread.

The ctg I am discussing is a necked down 300 Win mag with no improving.

My comment was not singling anyone out. Is there anything specifically you would like to know about the cartridge? I have one and just received my second barrel for the same rifle. I hope to start load development on the second at the first of the year.

My comment was not singling anyone out. Is there anything specifically you would like to know about the cartridge? I have one and just received my second barrel for the same rifle. I hope to start load development on the second at the first of the year.

So which version is yours? 25 degree shoulder? 2.620 case length?

I necked down Norma 300 Win Mag brass, stuck a 180 Berger Hybrid in it with the boat tail junction seated .015 past(longer) the neck/shoulder junction and sent it to Dave Kiff and had him cut a reamer with a .316 Neck. I step down with a .323 and finally a .311 bushing. Loaded rounds are .313. I started load development off with bullets seated .015 off the lands. I get a drop validated 3165fps at the accuracy node which is nowhere near the max. It is a 28" Bartlein.

I just read this entire thread. Man that was painful! It really went off the rails at times.
I want to set up my new build exclusively for the Berger 195's in 7-300wm. I know a lot of guys feel they need to go 28 Nosler with 195's so they can be north of 3100fps, but I don't see why. At 2900+fps out of a 7-300wm this round would be deadly out beyond 99.5% of shots on big game. It's still well above trans-sonic at a mile too. Good enough for me. Plus I hate 28 Nosler brass prices and theoretical future availability. And I think barrel life will be better with the 300 version.
Anyone done the 7-300wm with 195's recently and been happy? And would share results, chamber dimensions and loads etc?

Last edited:
Ha Ha yeah it can get side tracked at times very easily ...
I'm with ya on the nosler brass prices and the quality for said price!
anyways the 7-300 when throated and built right is accurate as all get out and right in that 3000 fps second range w/195gr in a good 28" barrel without throttling down on it to point shreds ville on the brass ,,awesome brass choices and plenty of it, easy to make, really not fire forming at all considering your not changing anything except neck dia. you can run 300 win dies, full house loads run in new brass without issue, its been one of my favorites and I have 4 reamers for different set ups for what guys want, but when it comes right down to matching the burn rate with throat depth this makes more difference that actual throat length and stuffing more powder in it basically get same results... Its a very slim and long burn column so H1000 and retumbo rl26 are really good choices for both 180-195 offerings!!!!

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.