Anyone know anything about mnt lion trapping?

fireroad

A rather large mnt lion has been see in our neighbor (we live out in the sticks) and we've already lost one dog to suspicious circumstances. I think it's time to invest in a trap, but don't know the first thing about them or how to bait them? Any advice or websites would be greatly appreciated!

Depending on which state you are in, it may not be legal to trap mnt lion. They are biggame animals in the states I'm familiar with.

Although I have never trapped mountain lion, I did grow up trapping and was friends with an old government trapper in Colorado when I was a kid. He trapped them using #4 leghold traps and even had some with small teeth on the jaws. I've heard of guys 'accidentally' catching them in smaller traps (as small as #2's) by just catching a toe.

To keep them from fighting the trap, you need to have it in a place where they can hide themselves while caught.

I know it's not much help, but that's all I have.

AJ

Thanks! I can get trapping permits in my state. I'm a gov bio as well (not a trapper) so I could probably call my Game and Fish contacts to get more info and maybe borrow a trap. They are all bear and big game bio's so I thought I would try the great folks on this forum first. I'm a bird bio myself, mostly raptors, owls, and game birds.

Trapping and holding a Mt lion are two different things, you can't do it with cheap hardware store traps. My heavy four coiled coyote traps will only hold the small ones, they are fully modified Bridger #3's.
Most places trapping is illegal, the ones I've caught have been in bobcat and coyote sets and had to release.:rolleyes:
The best thing to do with a lion is hounds, then you get the right cat fast, I also do the hound thing and trust me hounds are easier than trapping them.

Thanks for the advice. The lion comes through my property at night, and I don't think my neighbors want be chasing him through there property's with an outfitter and hounds. I can get a permit to trap legally. What is the biggest leg trap I could use, and how would I bait it?

Thanks for the advice. The lion comes through my property at night, and I don't think my neighbors want be chasing him through there property's with an outfitter and hounds. I can get a permit to trap legally. What is the biggest leg trap I could use, and how would I bait it?

Not to be a downer but running hounds through once is better than wacking the neighbors dog in a lion set, that being said does your state have a size limit on the jaw spread? Does it move on a trail consistantly? Can you snare?
Small or large lion, I'm suspecting someone just got the boot from momma and is more curious than anything. If an older cat your going to need to kill it, it's mind is made up. Your not talking a small thing here.
Doesn't sound like your in MT, I'd come over with one lion dog and help you out.

It's an larger, older adult. Unfortunatley it does not rain enough down here in New Mexico to get good tracks or determine a trail. I understand hounds are the best bet, but the only folks I know are outfitters who want big bucks for the service and are hesitant to tresspass on other peoples property (as am I). Except for one guy, most of my "neighbors" are yuppies, hippies, or retirees that thought it would be cool to move out of town and own a ranchette. They just have no clue. I'm not worried about a dog getting caught in the trap, most of the neighbors have little yap yaps that don't come on to the property.

I realize this is no easy task, and if I do catch the lion it will be put down. The trap will be on my property so I will be able to check it several times a day. I just need to know what trap size to buy and how to bait it.

Not a lot, but where do you live?

I've trapped a lot in my youth, but not lion (we never had them then in Wisconsin). We have them now.

I know they have a territory (that may change if they are merely moving through), but if they are in an established territory, they roam around in it. Consequently, they won't likely be in the same place the next day, but they will probably return to your place in their rounds, particularly if they've been successful in hunting.

They will return to a fresh kill, so this is a great opportunity to trap one if you find a kill.

They are curious.

This is the best site I've found in a short search:

Mountain lion control Felis concolor and cougar management

You could call them if you like excitement.

Keep your kids inside - period. Go outside armed (it really isn't hard to get used to).

Good luck!

I like to call 'em in!
3 yr old Tom 150lbs
IMG_0666.jpg

9 yr old Tom 140lbs (past his prime)
tatescougar010.jpg

Young Tom 100lbs
3-19-2009randecougar.jpg

you could try putting some catnip in an old sock and dangling it from the barrell of your rifle....

actually please dont try this. Very bad suggestion

i always heard replacing a cats kitty litter with saw dust and letting the cat use that for a while then putting it on the ground and bedding couple traps 10-12" on each side of that works well the cat will come by to mark his/her territory and you just might catch him

Cat are more site hunters than smell a trap with a 7- 9inch jaw spread 4coil should work with a good heavy drag. A bird wing hung by a string for a atractor and a good bobcat lure with a good amount of catnip on a branch about 3to 4feet off the ground trap or traps below is a good set

Forget to say be sure to boil your traps and drag or stake. Not a bad idea to do twice last one with sagebrush or what ever is natural to your area to help cover smell of trap be very cargun)eful of any smell u leave behind

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts