Anyone have a hornady manual handy?

pods8

Presuming they are using hornady brass in there, what is the powder range for 7mm-08, Varget, and the 139gr BTSP?

I know what it is for RP brass (via Hodgdon: RP brass, 139 SP is 40.5-43.5gr); I haven't used their brass before but I'll be helping a friend load some up and want to know if it has notable internal volume difference calling for a different charge range. Looking to be more efficient with the first range session in choosing the charge ladder window we start out with.

I've got their 9th Edition in front of me and its showing start load of 33.5gr and max of 41.5 with Varget powder and the 139gr bullets. Hope this helps.

I've got their 9th Edition in front of me and its showing start load of 33.5gr and max of 41.5 with Varget powder and the 139gr bullets. Hope this helps.

Yes it does, thank you.
[Saves me from pulling all the bullets in the upper end of the charge ladder I likely would have started running and needed to stop quite a bit sooner with this brass.]

The manual, whether Hornady or not, MEANS nothing, taking the data from several manuals and averaging the max is a far better proposition.
The ONLY way to determine what ANY load will do in a PARTICULAR RIFLE is to start low and work up. The few grains difference between capacities may or may not make a difference to the max charge required.
It is VERY RARE that a production rifle will yield the same pressures as a test barrel used to collect data for reloading manuals, they are a guide only, otherwise they would only list one load and be gospel, but they are not.

lightbulb

I am well aware, I will be running a charge ladder regardless I just was looking for an idea on the potential case capacity difference with hornady brass so I could be more efficient with the original window I try out. I likely would have had charges loaded up towards 44grs that I would have never shot (due to pressure signs earlier in the ladder), this just POTENTIALLY saves wasting my time and I appreciated the data provided. I likely will load the ladder up to 42-42.5gr on the max instead and presume some of those still won't get fired but its less to disassemble.

Varget is a Hodgdon powder.

Well, in that case it lists H205 starting at 41.1 gr (2200 fps), max 45.9 gr (2600 fps). That is using the Hornady 139 grain Spire point bullet, # 2820 BUT comparing this to the data that Corey Schwanz provided, I don't think it is the same powder, so Disregard my info- I obviously don't have the same data.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.