Anyone ever done something like this? Cabinet around a safe

CjC73

Thinking I'd like to do something similar. I'm thinking it would be a good spot for powder/bullets/etc

Screenshot_20211203-211436~2.png

Shouldn't be difficult to do. Just use a plywood bulkhead next to the safe to attach your shelf standards to. You can also attach 1x material to the wall behind the safe to attach your bulkhead to, the rest should be pretty straight forward.

I have not... But I've thought about building mine into a closet, or spackling it flush into a wall. Figured it would be harder to break into, and the top wouldn't be such a cluttered mess all the time 🤣

I've also heard that if you build it into an area only just bigger than the door when it's open, it's harder to breach with long pry bars, harder to remove due to not being able to get leverage, etc. Just some thoughts ☺️

When I was in the Army 86-91, we had wall lockers in the barracks…..it occurred to me one day that a gun safe could get shoe horned into one. Covered with gear head stickers, it blends in out in the garage just fine…and it's lockable

Great idea. As a matter of fact my wife just showed me a bunch of pics off pintrest maybe of some of those setups. Some were very elaborate and fancy lol but cool nonetheless.

I'm not sure I'd store ammo, powder or primers that close to my safe--- to each his own.

I built a hidden wall in front of mine--- not really much in the way of protection but it does hide things from the seeing eye which would help for quick smash and grabs.

I'm not sure I'd store ammo, powder or primers that close to my safe--- to each his own.

just curious, why not? not any different than storing those things on a shelf 4' away from the safe.

I may not even put doors on it, just build shelves around it and like FrogFire said, keep the top being so messy 😁 I'm not worried about keeping it out of view. If someone gets into that room, it's quite obvious there will be firearms close by, a closet door isn't going to hinder them.

Last edited: