Anyone else gearing up for the Wisc. whitetail season??

Dave King

I thought I might be a bit early but I'm getting pretty excited, I missed my Colorado Elk hunt and I'm itching to get hunting (going into withdrawal). I'm down to picking rifles and extra clothes for season.

I plan to take my little Marlin 25-20 and some hot 75 grain loads, my Marlin 38-55 with hand loads and of course my trusty shotgun (870 cantilever slug gun)... In the past I've nearly always used a Rem 700 in 308 and a second Rem 700 in various chamberings (223 rem - 375 H&H "Monkey Blaster") but thought I'd try some lever guns this season. (I may take my 308 this time too, still thinking on it, I hate to leave it home.)

I'm also trying to figure on what extra clothing I might need to pack, maybe some rain gear.

I'm gonna drive over from Maryland, should take me about 16 hours. I'm also trying to decide how much ring bologna (keilbasa) to get and bring back, maybe 50 ot 75 pounds, we can't find the Wisconsin type out here in MD.

I was out to the range yesterday doing a little testing. I have some Sierra 123g 6.5mm bullets I'm going to load tonight and try out tomorrow in my MOA for deer season. It will be getting more crowded at the range with deer season getting closer. I guess they have to shoot their one boolit to see if the gun still works.
I'm also about ready for hunting coyotes too, which is my favorite hunting now.
What's keilbasa LOLLOL
Ever have carnina (sp) loved it when I was a kid.

my son and myself are gearing up for the wisconsin rifle season we will be up north. bayfield county maybe a few days around iron river.. both brothers live up north they are saying alot of big bucks up that way

my main rifle will be the savge 116 in 270 win just for the heck of it ill take the remington LSS in 300 rum

Talkt to my brother ans Dad last week and sounds like I'll be hunting the west side of the Mississippi in SE Mn.Kept 40 acers of the family farm and we try to get together for deer season.
Where a bouts you hunting in Wisc Dave?

I'll hunt in Pepin County the first day or two, upstream on the Chippewa from the Tiffany Bottoms, just downstream from Ella at FiveMile Bluff. Second day I believe we're to head further upstream on the Chippewa, just up from Durand to Nine Mile Island (Pepin County part - rifle zone).

I'll also hunt on NSP (Northern States Power) land near Tyrone (across the river from the Dunnville State Public Hunting Grounds). We hunt in the pines there, just pick a spot and sit, good for windy, snowy or drizzle days - shotgun zone.

We spend a good deal of time on the Chippewa flowage, Tiffany Bottoms, Nine Mile & Happy islands and public land. I grew up in Rock Falls and still have friends and family in that area.

We may also go to Black River Falls and maybe up near to Sawyer County, (Hwy 27 and "D", go East on "D" (Hogsback Road) until it T's (at Old J I think) and head North again (township of Winter)). We hunt on the east side of the Old J road about 2.5 miles north of the intersection with Hogsback Road.

Mostly it a trip to see friends but I like to visit the old places too.

And I'll be hunting in Waupaca County which is a shotgun area. Handguns are allowed too. A new friend, yotefever, has graciously lent me his XP-100 handgun in .260 Rem for the season. Should be lots of fun.

Dave, bring warm clothes! It's been well below normal here for most of the fall. I'm in Pittsville (central forest) flurries been coming down all day.

I have an area of county land south of me, it's a very large tract, alot of wetland and mixed timber. I canoued in saturday down one of the canals. Found a very good spot exactly one mile from the nearest road. Only problem is canal will be froze, hopefully the ice will hold. I have not hunted this area before but have been scouting it for 3 years. Every year we had soft ice that wasn't safe. Beavers are in there now so that could add more ice danger. Canoeing
out a deer would defenetally be better than dragging. If I make it there this year I hope to catch a big boy looking to hide out the season. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I've been so busy I forgot about the Whack-A-Mole bears.

I may get a few minutes and post something about it... it's probably not what you think but it was a fun time trying to catch them, made the evenings go fast and enjoyable.

I'm making my Wisconsin hunting trip knife today, a ~ 5160 steel leaf spring, I'll use some clear Lexan, black Delrin and leather washers for the handle with both ends brass, stainless 1/4x20 nut for compression (J-B weld for glue). It'll be a nearly straight drop point with a slight Kukri "S" shape to the blade. (I've already burned myself twice, so I figure I'm about half done shaping the blade!)

Here's what the knife looks like so far.

knife-left.JPG

knife-right.JPG

knife-top.JPG

I can't find my brass stock so I'm going to use aluminum instead, it's going kinda slow... I should have it ready for the hunting.

Here's what it looked like before I starter the grinder.

0001-0409-2710-2023_SM.jpg

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.