Anyone else extremely dissapointed with Win brass lately?

pyroducksx3

So I recently got two bags of seven rem mag brass made by winchester. I took 6 or so out from each bag to measure so I can order my redding neck sizer bushings. The necks on all of them were so bad I had to run them through a sizer button just to measure. One was so bad from tool marks on the inside of the neck (5 or so ridges on the inside of the neck) it is unusable another wouldnt even slide into the shell holder. This by far the worst brass I have seen. I can't wait to see how bad the rest of the brass is.....

Had just bought Winchester 25-06 brass and about 1/4 had egg shaped flash holes, some of them look like they were double punched.

I emailed Winchester over a week ago to inform them, out of 50 pieces of new 7mm-08 brass 15 were unsafe to use. The bottom angle above the rim was cut uneven. I had fired one without noticing causing it to stick in the chamber. After having one stick I checked the brass and found the rest. I will be buying Nosler or Lapua .260 from now on.

I bought two bags of 7mm-08 brass a couple years ago. In both bags, about half had the interior end of the flashhole like it was countersunk about half way down. The other were standard cylindrical shape all the way. I even cross sectioned some and sent them in. Got a form letter 'sorry you experienced blah, blah, blah'. And a certificate for $20 towards Winchester products, which my local dealer turned in and never got reimbursed for. I paid him the $20 for trying.

I've always used Winchester brass because it was cheap and I had great results with it, but my the new stuff sucks! I bought 100 pieces for my 300 WSM and 3 were useless right out of the bag because the rims weren't cut correctly. After sizing before loading I lost 1 piece due to the neck splitting.

After one firing I lost 3 or 4 pieces because the necks cracked and on the second firing I lost over 20 due to cracked necks. I think losing 28 percent of your brass after only 2 firings is completely unacceptable quality.

Win brass has never impressed me. Over the yrs the quality has gone down. I won't even use once fired. I will stick with Norma and remington. These have given me the best results. Most of the time you do get what you pay for.:D

I just trashed the remainder of a bag of 50 3x fired 7mm Rem brass due to bad primer pockets. Some of them were from hot loads, but others were never loaded to max pressure. Just a bad bag of brass.

I have another bag from a different lot that appears to be better. At least the flashholes are centered and round without any pinched necks.

I emailed Winchester a week ago. I called yesterday and left a message and was told I would get a response in 1 buisness day. If I do not hear from them tomorrow I will never buy another Winchester product. I buy cases of Winchester shotshells and I buy some Winchester brass. I guess they want me to buy Remington from now on.

I used to like Win brass for 7mm rem. The last few bags have been terrible. Egg shaped flash holes, and way under minimum length (hundredths not thousandths under). I expect to cull a few but, not over half a bag. Norma is seldom available it seems, I think I'll try 50 pieces of Nosler. Winchester is selling garbage at this point.

Haven't bought win brass for some time, not because I've had undue problems just bought that many brass over time. Now how ever I just go Nosler and decided to be happy with the time it saves me on prep and sorting time :cool:

My experience with Winchester brass has also been extremely horrible. Brand new brass has necks dented/crushed/cracked/etc. Neck thickness variations are all over the map, typically around .003 to .005. Weight variations are just gross, usually +/- 3 to 4 grains.

I also shoot Nosler brass now and will always spend the extra money to save time. Neck thickness variations are .001 or better, weight variation is less than 1 grain for a batch of 50. Just all around consistently uniform brass.

Also a good rule of thumb is whatever the variations in neck thickness, the same variation will be present within the body of the brass. So even with neck turning, you really cannot fix bad brass.

I sure hope they figure it out. I just bought some Winchester brass in 308 and had problems with the primer pockets after one loading. I started using Nosler and haven't looked back.

Last batch of 25-06 had a 22 percent failure rate, before I started to weigh them. Creased necks, split necks, of center flash holes, dents. If any of us ran a business with a 22 percent failure rate we would be out of business. Believe me I am not extremely finicky. Three emails not one returned. This company ranks right up there with Bank of America for quality of Managment. I will never buy another Winchester product again. Purchased Remington brass and tossed one out of 100. This used to be the opposit with Winchester, I am done with them.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.