H4831SC in 6.5 PRC...anyone else??

This spring I put together a hunting rifle to use for deer and elk in Montana this fall. I originally wanted to run 143 ELD-X or 142 AB LR bullets.

Starting with H1000 powder and not yielding much better than 1 moa groups I was getting disgusted. The H1000 seemed to be about the right speed of burn for the 142/143s and offered great load density with being able to run compressed loads without seeing much pressure but the accuracy wasnt there.

I have been reading that RL26 is the cherry powder for the 6.5 PRC but i cant get my hands on any to try it.

I decided to try the 130gr sierra gamechanger TGK bullet and along with them I run H4831SC and this seems to be a great combo as they will stack in the same hole at 100yds.

My barrel is a 26" Lilja 8 twist.

Hornady brass

56gr of H4831SC is a real tac driver at 3020fps and 59gr also groups real well at 3118fps.

Also using CCI 250 LR magnum primer

I havent seen much load data or talk of using H4831SC in the 6.5PRC and am curious if others have used it and what their results are like. I would also be interested in seeing what quickload says about pressure of the 2 loads I listed above.

Thanks for sharing any data related to this!

4831 and h1000 show same velocity for max charge according to hornday website.

I am currently testing RL26, retumbo, and h1000 with 147's and 140's. I am using Hornady's data for reference on max charges and doing velocity ladder testing to max. You can make any of these powders work well IMHO. Right now H1000 in my rifle has a large node 56-57.5. While testing that group of test charges shot 2" at 350. Not that it really means a lot but it was interesting that the ES in charge range was only 30FPS.

On another note, just my opinion, I could care less about 100 yard groups. I have had and have rifles shoot bugholes at 100 and go to **** at 500 plus. I put very little credibility in my rifles at zero range. I only care about the SD/ES and accuracy at long ranges. I know we all like to stack em, makes us feel good, but it really is not a major indicator of what it will do beyond point blank range.

Yep I start to take note of accuracy at 200yds as i too have seen sub moa 100yds groups crap out at 200 and further!

I don't have a PRC but would echo what others have said about H4831sc in the 6.5-284. I run 52.3 grains of it and a 130 Accubond in mine and it works great out to 400 yards (2920 FPS). I'm probably leaving a bit on the table with that charge but it's enough for what I need so I figure why burn the extra powder?

I am going to try RL 25 this weekend. You can get your hands on that. I am getting good groups at 100 with h1000 but I havnt stretched it out yet. Where are you seating the bullet?

This spring I put together a hunting rifle to use for deer and elk in Montana this fall. I originally wanted to run 143 ELD-X or 142 AB LR bullets.

Starting with H1000 powder and not yielding much better than 1 moa groups I was getting disgusted. The H1000 seemed to be about the right speed of burn for the 142/143s and offered great load density with being able to run compressed loads without seeing much pressure but the accuracy wasnt there.

I have been reading that RL26 is the cherry powder for the 6.5 PRC but i cant get my hands on any to try it.

I decided to try the 130gr sierra gamechanger TGK bullet and along with them I run H4831SC and this seems to be a great combo as they will stack in the same hole at 100yds.

Hornady brass

56gr of H4831SC is a real tac driver at 3020fps and 59gr also groups real well at 3118fps.

I havent seen much load data or talk of using H4831SC in the 6.5PRC and am curious if others have used it and what their results are like. I would also be interested in seeing what quickload says about pressure of the 2 loads I listed above.

Hornady brass

I'm glad you mentioned H4831 in the 6.5 PRC. I was thinking it would be good
I've been using Retumbo .H1000.H869. IMR 8133 and 7977, RL33 .Have loaded some with RL26 but have not tested yet. Got some N570 N565 and N560 and RL23, 19 and 17 to try also. Just need more time !

Last edited:
fastnflat1,
Let us know how testing goes with other powders.
I just bought a new 6.5 PRC Browning X-Bolt Pro and will be reloading by September. I'll need your input. But my 24" barrel has a 1:7 twist for the heavier bullets so you and I may have very different results with similar loads.
"The nodes tell the story."

Eric B.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.