Anyone come across this… blind deer

Stringstalker

Yesterday my son and I were elk hunting in Idaho. He made a great 359 yard shot with a 7mm-08. Lots to talk about there but I'll get to it. Driving out there was a deer in the middle of the road. Couldn't see. I pulled the binos out and he was completely missing his left eye. And his right was bulging out of his head. First I thought mountain lion. However zero evidence on the back of the neck or body. I'll be interested to hear thoughts on this one. I called the game warden. He went out to dispatch the animal.
It looks like a buck to me that lost its horns already.

Attachments

• IMG_6523.jpeg
    IMG_6523.jpeg
    477.4 KB · Views: 85
  • IMG_6525.jpeg
    IMG_6525.jpeg
    532.6 KB · Views: 86
  • IMG_6520.jpeg
    IMG_6520.jpeg
    519.2 KB · Views: 84
  • IMG_6524.jpeg
    IMG_6524.jpeg
    447.2 KB · Views: 83
I can't say that I've seen anything like it before but the aforementioned explanation of a fight seems plausible. What's the story with the elk?

We get a lot of one eyed bucks due to fighting in MO. Two eyes gone probably lets them get eaten pretty quick.

Fight or flight into a fence or trees.
To be honest, I would have taken the photos for evidence, called the Warden, then dispatched the deer myself. No need to let that go on any longer.

Ear is torn up bad too. Could have been a "head shot" that missed enough to survive...for a little while at least.

What a shame. Looks like it was a younger buck.