Deer Blinds?

buffalorancher

I've got two spots on my ranch that have been for sure kill spots for the last several years. I'm going to upgrade my current blind setup and I was wondering what brand of manufactured permanent blinds people liked. Price isn't necessarily a huge concern but a good value is always nice. I'm not interested in portable blinds as I already have 3 Double Bulls that work very well. Surely there are a few Texans here that can weigh in on this.

this is one i built last yr framed it up with 2x4 and insulated it its on a 12ft tower now and painted. carpeted the walls and floor also figured if i built it comfortable my dad would hunt more. i had about 300 in it not counting the stand my nieghbor at the ranch is a welder and i trade out some work for the tower he built me. this thing was a challenge to stand up as it was really heavy
derrblind001.jpg

You might want to give a sportsman's condo a try if you do not mind plastic. I bought a few Blynds as few years back and wish I had seen the sportsmans condos first.

stx's blind looks good for size. I think a 4' x 4' x 6' tall with at least a 4' high door is good for 1 hunter. I like wide swing up windows, but the sliders can keep you a lot warmer. If 2 people are going to hunt in the same blind, 4' x 6' x 6' tall is good. I don't like short doors. Also a good office chair with arms is good, and I like about a 6" wide shelf for the window sills to use as rifle rests, and I put cheap carpet on them for quietness and ease of swinging if you can't avoid a running shot. Carpet on the floor is also good for quietening a blind. Depending on the type of cover, you may want to be just a foot or so off the ground or you might need a tower to look out over low cover and open ground. Tie the towers down real good. They can really move around in a strong wind, and could possibly blow over with someone in them. The best blinds I've set up are in as much cover as I can get and still have shooting lanes. I put them in scrub oak motts and/or cedar bushes to mask their shape as much as possible. Live oaks and cedars are good because they hold their foliage during the winter hunting seasons.

I have never had a chance to hunt out of the plastic blinds eddybo mentioned, but I don't know any reason they wouldn't be very good.

In general, the more comfortable a blind is, the longer hours you will spend hunting.

Hope this helps some, Tom

I've hunted out of carpeted wooden blinds and plastic ones. I like the wooden ones better because they are quite a bit quieter. I have found the plastic ones to be pretty noisy. Didn't seem to hurt the hunting, but I like the quiet.

Thanks for the replies. STXHUNTER, if you put some siding on that blind it would be a nicer house than some of the people live in here.

Me and My uncle built 6 8x8 6 feet tall blinds that are 10 feet off the ground. We took windows out of some old house and used them for the blind windows. We also carpeted the floors and the walls to keep the noise down when the kidds go. It is nice and big and roomie. I have had three kidds laying in sleeping bags on the floor with a small propaine heater whilst I watched the woods/feilds and we had plenty of room. they will spoil you very quick but I still love to walk and stalk most of the time.

Thanks for all the replies. I've seen the plastic blinds before and the noise thing bothers me but on the other side you can get quite a few $$$ into treated lumber. There seems to be a lot of companies in Texas so i will look harder at those.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts