Anyone build a Savage 338 Edge?

kellyz

Wanting a do-it-yourself custom 338 Edge for the non-gunsmith. I've been thinking about starting with a Savage magnum action and dropping in a McGowan 338 barrel prefit replacement. Then adding an aftermarket stock. Has anyone gone this route? Also wondering if there are extended box magazines for the Savage to load the 300 gr. Bergers long and keep it a repeater. Finally, opinions on the best trigger for this build. Thanks in advance.

I've done this before. I started with a 300rum large shank action. No mag box is available, I milled the receiver front and back, then cut the box and welded it back together with another mag box that was cut to make it longer. It would feed 3.900" pretty decent not the best but it worked. Also cut the bolt stop back to make it pick up the longer case. I would recommend the Sharp Shooter Centerfire & Rimfire Triggers I tried the rifle basix sav2 trigger and didn't care for it personally.

Sounds like there should be a market for someone to start offering extended box mags for Savages. I hate the thought of neutering a .338 with a short COAL!

The problem is that you have to mill the action ALOT, it's not that easy to do like a Wyatt's box. I shortened the feed ramp and reshaped it. I got the most out of it by cutting it in the back. Then you have to recut the slits that the bag box slides into the action. If it was as easy as milling it longer and putting a longer box in I'm sure someone would do it. But it's more involved then that.

If I were doing a 338 Edge on a Savage it would be single shot. If I had to have a repeater I would start with a Lapua action and do a 338 improved. I would start with a 338 magnum target for the Edge.

If I were doing a 338 Edge on a Savage it would be single shot. If I had to have a repeater I would start with a Lapua action and do a 338 improved. I would start with a 338 magnum target for the Edge.

I've built a couple 338 Edges on Savage actions. I built a repeater first and it wasn't worth all the effort and irreversible modifications to the action.

Single shot is the most simple and easy way for a Savage.

If you really want a repeater, start with a Rem 700 and use a Remage style barrel and a Wyatt mag box. Much easier to get the OAL for the Edge.

Use any of the large shank actions, not the small shank. Jim at Northland Shooters Supply will be happy to explain why and tell you what you need to know. The 112 mag target is a large shank. A repeater makes it a much bigger project.
http://northlandshooterssupply.com/

You don't need a large shank action. Small shank works just fine.

The OD of the actions are the same. Small shank has a thicker action, large shank has a thinner action. The front bridge of a Savage action is heat treated. The barrel is not. I'd rather have a thicker cross-section of heat treated material and less barrel, than a thinner cross section of heat treated material and a thicker barrel.

Hundreds of RUM and WSM based rounds have been safely built on small shanks.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.