.338 Edge build, custom action or Savage?

codyadams

So my friend and are are looking at putting together a 338 edge repeater, and planning on shooting the 300 gr. elite hunters. What kind of OAL can you get from a savage long action? If we can't get what we want we will go with a Remington clone custom and run a Wyatts 4.00" mag box. Also gonna have a Manners carbon stock and probably carbon six barrel. Looking to make a somewhat light (under 11lbs finished) rifle for packing.

Been there, done that. IMHO there is no practical way to make a repeater 338 Edge on a Savage long action.

I ended up buying a Stiller Predator and using the 4" Wyatts box. Even then, the modifications required to the action were considerable. A decent amount of material has to be removed at the rear of the mag box opening. I did this with a Dremel of all things and it came out fine. But it took a long time. The bolt stop also needs to be modified to allow the bolt to come further back to pick up the rear of the long cartridge.

I used a McGowan Remage barrel with their nut. The gun is crazy accurate. I took 3rd in a 2000 yard competition against much pricier custom guns and took an elk at 700 yards last weekend with it. Given the wind I elected to use a sighter. I slipped under recoil on the first shot and didn't spot it, so I had to use the second as the spotter, and dropped the elk with the third. So having a repeater to do all of this in under 30 seconds was a big advantage.

I can't speak to your weight goal. Mine has a steel Sendero contour barrel 30" and McMillan A3 Sporter magnum fill stock and Heathen brake and comes in at 14lbs scoped. I don't know how much weight a carbon barrel would drop but an 11lb 338 Edge sounds pretty aggressive. I did pack mine 8 miles back into rough country to take my elk.

I built my Edge on a Wby Mark V. Still can't mag load long bullets.

The Wyatts CFE-9 box seems to be the closest you can get. I'm sure there is one in the parts bin in my shop. Never thought to see if it would fit/work in the Weatherby with machining.

My OAL with 285 A-Max is 3.945 which would fit a CFE-9 but not the Weatherby extended box for the 378. I can't find my notes for Berger 300 Elite Hunters but I'm positive those seated .020 off were even longer.

Custom or R700 RUM action, it will take work to fit the CFE-9 box.

I don't hunt with my Edge. At 16.5 lb too heavy. Might try it on long range pigs from a fixed position some day.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.