Anybody chambering the 8mm rem mag?

Oldschool280

I do not own a magnum rifle nor do i actually really need one but that hasn't stopped me from buying rifles before. I originally wanted a 7mm remmag as a boy, but when my uncle gave me his 280 rem i never really had the same affection for that round considering what the handlloaded 280 does With 160 and below bullets. So now i want a magnum. When everybody had mustangs in the 90's i had a fiat with nitrous. Im a fan of things that arent as common, i always route for the underdog. Enough about my issues, where can i get a 8mm rem mag that isnt a remington 700, and has a pricetag around 2k

Why not just get a Remington 700 in 8mm Rem. Mag? Not sure if anyone else even chambered that cartridge in a factory rifle. If you want something different, there are a few other magnums that are not seen everyday.

I hear yeah I did read that the Remington 700 had accuracy issues in that model due to the rifle twisting with full loads. Would you happen to know anything about this phenomenon ? thanks in advance

I hear yeah I did read that the Remington 700 had accuracy issues in that model due to the rifle twisting with full loads. Would you happen to know anything about this phenomenon ? thanks in advance

Never heard of that problem and I have most of my experience with Remington 700s from .222 up to .300 Weatherby. My Dad has a Remington 700 Classic sporting rifle in .300 WBY and it shoots 1/2 MOA or better and he is shooting a stout load. There is a lot of one off theories and stories floating around. The 8mm Rem Mag is a big cartridge but nothing that is going to twist a 700 or its barrel or whatever the supposed phenomenon is. My local gun dealer has been to Africa multiple times with successful hunts and the rifle he used is a Remington 700 BDL in 8mm Remington Magnum. That rifle shoots clover leafs at 100 yards with factory shells. I would not be afraid or worried about an older 700 in 8mm Rem Mag, the Remingtons from the period are some of the best. For 2k you can get a very nice Remington 700 8mmRM and top it with a great piece of glass and buy the brass, dies, and bullets you will need. Or even yet, look into another obscure magnum cartridge that is less common but components are out there for if you are not dead set on the 8mmRM. A Remington 700 Classic in 7mm Weatherby Mag comes to mind.

You seem to like the 7mm's... And you want an 8mm RemMag...

How about you mix the 2 together, and build a rifle chambered in one of the greatest long range cartridges ever designed.............. The 7mm STW (Shooting Times Westerner). Remington produced those for many years. You should not have a problem finding one in 7mm STW. :cool:

I got my first one in 2002 (which I still have), and acquired a 2nd one several years ago, from a buddy who had it built by my gunsmith, and then got in a bind for money, so I bought it from him to help him out. It's an amazing cartridge.

You can even buy Nosler 8mm RemMag brass and neck it down in 1 step and have 7mm STW brass. Which is usually a little bit cheaper than buying Nosler 7mm STW brass.

Also, this nonsense about the action twisting is internet conjecture and BS. A wise old man once told me, "Belive none of what you hear, and only half of what you see..."

You seem to like the 7mm's... And you want an 8mm RemMag...

How about you mix the 2 together, and build a rifle chambered in one of hte greatest cartridges ever designed.............. The 7mm STW (Shooting Times Westerner). :cool:

I got my first one in 2002 (which I still have), and acquired a 2nd one several years ago, from a buddy who had it built by my gunsmith, and then got in a bind for money, so I bought it from him to help him out. It's an amazing cartridge.
That's another great option as well. Though the STW is more common on this sight, I only know one guy personally that has a 7mm STW. You won't run into too many people in the woods packing one or anyone with a 7mm packing more heat for that matter very often!

I bought a used 700 BDL in 8mm years ago. It had been glass bedded. It shoots very well and I would change nothing about it. If you wanna go first class, buy one similar to mine. Have the bore checked, and if OK, have a nice custom stock put on it. There is nothing wrong with the older 700's.

I can't thank you guys enough, Glad to hear that the action twisting on the 700 is bs, also the 7mm stw did catch my eye in A thread a lil while back. I havent looked much into the weatherby's but will right now. I'll post a pic of what i decide on after i pick it up. If i know me i'll probably aquire more than one of these cartridges in the future.

Neck that 8mm up to 338 and you will have something. Bullet availability is everything for a LR build and 8mm high BC bullets aren't falling out of trees. Might check CE, Chinchaga or Hammer and see if they have any bullets. To me the 8mm, 25 and until recently the 270 haven't been viable LR calibers solely due to bullet availability. None of those bores can hang with the calibers under or over them solely due to bullet availability.

One of the great tragedies of the big banger shooting world...a great concept/cartridge that got cheated out of it's value..even the bullet manufacturers robbed it by offering so little for it...but with the few great bullets offered today it'll handle anything at any range you can hit with it, I've often wondered if Big Green would have given it a different name, if that wouldn't helped, like their fiasco with, 7/06, 7mm express and .280 rem....we just never did take much of a fancy to that " mm " attached to a number other than 7...who knows but it's a great cartridge !!

There are several Mod 700s on Gunbroker right now. priced from $885 to $1250 . Just type in 8mm Rem Mag and they will come up. Its a good round, but it does recoil enough to warrant a good pad and maybe a brake, depends on you.

A 270gr .8 BC 8mm would change things and the 8mm Lapua or Edge would be a hit. It's all about the bullets.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.