Any thoughts on a Weaver Classic V 4-16x?

teddy12b

I am in the process of setting up a rifle for long range target shooting and hopefully some hunting soon after. I am on the edge of buying a Weaver Classic V in 4-16x with a fine reticle. I thought I'd check with the experts on this forum before I go making any purchases though.

What are your thoughts on that scope?

My other scope of choice is a Nikon Buckmaster 6-18x. I already have one of those on a 12BVSS 223 and I am really happy with it.

Well I'm no expert on anything but between myself and some friends and relatives we have about 8 of the weaver v16's and for the money there's nothing wrong with them. I also have some nightforces and leupolds and like I said for the money there's nothing wrong with them. Someone once told me "buy the best you can afford and you won't go wrong".

I have a 4x16 Weaver on my Sendero 25-06AI, it works, but I believe the Nikon Buckmasters is better. I am looking at taking it off & putting on a 22 & getting a Nikon Monarch for the Sendero.

The main thing I like is the fine reticle. I looked through one once and it was pretty nice. I like the buckmaster too, but I've already got one and I'd like to try something a little bit different.

As far as quality goes, will a weaver hold up?

Not 100% sure (read-too lazy to look it up) but I don't think that model of Weaver has target turrets?

If no target turrets, then no clicking, thus no long range capability with that reticle. This is, unless you are considering PBR, point blank range, to be long range, which is isn't.

FWIW

It's the classic V series. I've seen one with the target turrets on it, but I have no idea where the guy got them. The regular turrets are click adjustments.

Well it arrived in the mail the other day. It seems to be a very well built scope and the crosshairs are extremely fine. I like it so far. I can hardly wait till the rifle gets here so I can put it all together.

Hello, I have the varmint dot 6-24. It has what you would call semi-turrents. It has good tracking. I really like the 1/8th varmint dot, makes getting on animals instantanous. Glass isn't that great on higher powers compared to my Leupold 8.5-25x50.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.