Any reports on Sightron 8-32x56??

Jim Oliver

Guys,

Looking for a scope in this power range and considering the SIII with Fine Cross Hair or the 1/8 MOA Dot.

Any one with experience with either of these?

Thanks,
Jim

Depending on your purpose I wouldn't hesitate to buy one. I have the 8-32x56 S-III and use it for long range varmints and target shooting on my .284/6Dasher. Originally the scope I bought had the 1/4" dot, which was too big. So I had it converted to fine cross hair.

The optics are really decent. One day there were perfect conditions for optical viewing, I was able to see bullet holes/smudges at 900 and 1000 yards in the white of my Caldwell Tip Top targets. I've also had 2 or 3 NF owners honestly say that my scope was just as good as their NF scopes, and even brighter on same power level.

The tracking has been excellent, though I have done no tests other than real life shooting situations and F-Class. Clicks are light, which is most peoples biggest complaint. It is certainly not a problem in the fashion I use the scope.

I just was shooting rockchucks out to a mile and with the proper base set-up you'll have enough elevation to actually dial in the shot with most cartridges for mile shooting. I was running a 20 M.O.A. base in conjunction with Burris Sig Zees.

Thanks for the report.

I am particularly interested in how the FCH or 1/8 MOA dot perform in long range, small target shooting.

Trying to decide on which reticle to get, FCH or 1/8 MOA dot.

Jim

I am happy with the fine cross hair. But there is one problem with the FCH and that is you cannot see your reticle in low light. I could probably live with either the 1/8" or FCH, but I doubt I will go straight FCH again even though its simple and it works in 95% of the conditions I shoot in.

Flybuster,

The problem with th FCH in low light is my concern, but I doubt that the 1/8 MOA dot will help much. Guess a lighted reticle is the best answer........or don't hunt early or late.

The home for the scope will be a Rem custom 300 WinMag with 29" Krieger; not something I plan to use for lots of walking. Mostly full daylight longrange "plinking"......so the FCH will probably be OK.

Thanks,
Jim

I hate to admit that is where the NF has an advantage over the S-III with their illuminated fine reticles in low light. But half the price the Sightron is outstanding, and your not sacrificing much of anything. I believe that Sightron now offers a mil-dot reticle if I am not mistaken.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.