Any recommended gun safes? Liberty Revere 72 vs Cannon Wide Body 64??

I was looking at Browning safes years back. Then I found a good deal on Bighorn safes at Costco with a similar fire rating. For the difference in price, I was able to buy an M1 from CMP as well. Always get exterior hinges. Interior is a scam and wastes valuable space. There is no security difference in real safes, as they will have fixed bolts on that side, so cutting the hinges off does nothing to get you in.

Fire rating can be increased by adding an additional layer of type X drywall inside if you like. Consider where you live and typical fire dept response times.

The only part of any commercial safe that is security-focused is the front frame and door. Any brands I've seen mentioned can be easily cut into from the back, sides, or top with an angle grinder or faster with a gas demo saw. If possible, place safe with walls around three sides, and yes, bolt it down.

I'd get a combo lock. Mine came with a digital one (as did my Dad and his friend's safes bought at the same time). Bought three group 1R S&G high security manipulation-proof locks at a good price, but had to order dials with longer stems before I could install them. I don't trust the digital ones, no matter what anyone claims. If there is any kind of fire, you're SOL with a digital. Ask a friend of mine whose house recently burned and three melted locks later...

BUT I can tell you experience, don't haul your safe with mega-security lock when you move and leave it lying on its back in the pickup in Texas sun for a week, then try to open the lock (even if you left it unlocked, etc. Mine has a thermal relocker, and it got hot enough to melt just enough to activate. I ended up trying the usual stuff. I called S&G and talked with their main vault tech. 5 minutes in he asks "man are you a locksmith?" I said no I'm a structural engineer who knows many things, just an amateur locksmith. I'd already tried everything he suggested. So I was resigned to having to drill into it. He siad a locksmith would charge around $1k, so I did it myself. I drilled through the back, with a long, long 1/2" drill, through the back of the safe door, through the back of the lock right at the relocker lever. Was able to use a piece of stiff TIG rod to tap on the lever end while my brother spun the dial after combo was dialed. PRESTO, it opened. I welded up the 2 holes in the back (1 for drill, 1 for camera) and it's all good. I will replace the back plate of the lock, but it still works just fine.

Does anyone have a recommendation on a quality gun safe? I would like to keep it at or below $1,500 and have about 60 minutes of fire protection.

I was looking at a Liberty Revere 72 on the Tractor Supply website, but the reviews are not the greatest. They claim the metal on the door is so thin it will flex when opened and someone could get in with a crowbar (no idea if this is true or not). I was hoping someone on here would have that safe and could confirm? I am also considering the Cannon 64 gun Wide Body - again, about the same reviews as the Liberty (some great, some bad).

I was originally going to spend the extra $100 for the Liberty because it was American made, but I believe this Revere model is not? So at this point, I will consider all brands and all options - I would also like to keep it at a minimum of 48 guns.
Any brand holds about a dozen less than what they advertise. If you need to hold 48 buy a size that advertises 68 or 72.

There are so many different gun safe options out there that it makes a decision very difficult. I can only offer you what I have done myself. There are some good, and some bad, and I am convinced that you only get what you pay for (within reason...). After many hours of research and learning about gun safes, and, visiting several different stores and laying my eyes and fingers on them I finally settled on a Cannon. I suggest you list the features you would like in a safe and then look for safes that offer them. I chose a Cannon Model CA33 because I wanted the following features:
- 36 gun Capacity
- Dual Electronic and manual combination lock
- 60 min Fire Rating @1200deg F
- 1-1/2" active locking bolts on top and both sides
- Internal hinges
- 5 spoke handle (just my own preference)
- Built in interior lighting (this is really nice to have)
- An internal plug and media outlet - 2 x 110v female outlets, 2 x USB ports, and 1 x RJ45 Ethernet Connection) (used to power the internal LED lights and for an electric dehumidifier/heater and a solid state HD backup for my computer)
- Adjustable and configurable shelves

At 60" x 40" x 22" it weighed in at 750 lbs empty. It's a little beast, but no one will be able to lift it and carry it away, especially with it loaded.

The internal power plugs and lights are a really nice feature, as is the USB connection because I have the safe in my home office and keep an actively running HD backup for my computer inside the safe.

So far, its met all of my needs but I do have it filled so I recommend you get a larger safe than you think you will need as others have recommended.

Have fun shopping for your safe!

Watch a few you tube videos. I will tell you none of the lower end safes provide the protection or fire length they claim. I have a liberty and a old none fire Browning. The browning is 3 times the thickness with a real plate door and frame. Also thick panels.
A axe or angle grinder can cut through my liberty sidewalls like it's nothing. Crooks can peel a safe faster than they can slide it and flip it into a truck. Bolt it down!!!
Edit. Mine are old school dials. Wish I would have gotten electronic on my liberty.
From my research, the fire rating is: X degrees for X amount of time until paper will combust inside the safe. Same information from several safe manufactures. The rating should be posted somewhere on the door.

Some great idea's here.

Bolting down and placing a frame around it would prevent them from tipping it over - which is how most of them on YouTube are opened. Also, Like mentioned by nmbsniper above, placing it against a wall opposite of the hinges would really prevent anyone from being able to get in there and pry on it. I feel with the combination of the things above, you can have a safe that will deter 99% of criminals - the 1% would find away into any safe anyways.

Has anyone built an enclosure around their safe?

This is how we are going. Room poured with the foundation. Details left to your imagination.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220405-125958_DuckDuckGo.jpg
    Screenshot_20220405-125958_DuckDuckGo.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 55
Pick the one with the highest fire rating. The better the fire rating the higher the price, usually. Security wise they are all adequate, its the fire rating that really matters. Also, i believe most liberty safes are made in china. The old originals were not, but believe some or all the newer ones are. I own a Cannon and like it.
They are made in Payson UT. They say that 95% are made in the USA. They have over 400 people working that their facility. At their peak they can manufacture 700 per day. That may have changed depending on availability of materials.

I've moved quite a few for myself and with friends. The 600-700lb 5ft tall ones are pretty easy to move with two big guys. You just put down cardboard on a low trailer and lay them on their back side. You can use a refrigerator dolly in the house.

For a real safe you can rent a safe dolly, they are much harder to slide but still work. We also used a bunch of golf balls underneath.
Even my 1040# empty safe was moved by rolling on pieces of sch40 PVC pipe.

There are some interesting tricks to moving one of these without hurting yourself.
The safe company showed me them when they moved my 1500 pound safe into my old house, then out of my old house and into the new one.
FYI we pretty much built a lot of the new house around the safe due to its weight.
My house in NM, I had to remove not just the office door, but the entire door jamb, and also remove the handles form teh safe spindle, and it still barely made the urn form the hallway. Same getting it out to move to San Antonio.

I was at my local gun shop yesterday and when I walked in, there were 4 big boxes of burnt barrels. I asked what happened and my gun guy said a client came in for him to evaluate the burnt up guns for his insurance company. The guy had 3 Cannon safes full of antique high dollar guns and a few newer ones. Right then and there, I ordered a Browning safe because I currently have my guns in a Cannon safe. I should have taken a couple of pictures to post on here to back my story up. Either way, spend the money on a Browning and don't look back. Just my .02¢ here, but guns are a investment in more ways than one.