Any particular type of crown inshould request?

Oldschool280

Hello gang, I appears i may need a recrown on my woods rifle. What would you suggest for a carbine length barrel. It is a 280. Also, the rifling looks pretty shallow when compared to every other rifle i have , even infantry rifles from ww2. Ihavent had the barrel slugged yet. Ideally i'd like to recrown it and see how it goes and perhaps open up my options to use boat tail bullets as well. If that doesnt work out and the barrel is too worn perhaps i'll go another direction.

All of my customs have a recessed target crown. I prefer this crown because it helps to protect the crown from damage. An improperly cut or damaged crown can cause accuracy issues.

Here is one of mine on a 7mm RemMag... My smith cuts these on the lathe, and not with a crowning tool. He first squares up the muzzle face with the lathe, then cuts the crown to ensure it's perfectly square with the bore.

EDAA8DF2-1DD2-4A5E-BFB9-A6AB5DE4154F_zpsbnyuxegh.jpg

All of my customs have a recessed target crown. I prefer this crown because it helps to protect the crown from damage. An improperly cut or damaged crown can cause accuracy issues.

Here is one of mine on a 7mm RemMag... My smith cuts these on the lathe, and not with a crowning tool. He first squares up the muzzle face with the lathe, then cuts the crown to ensure it's perfectly square with the bore.

EDAA8DF2-1DD2-4A5E-BFB9-A6AB5DE4154F_zpsbnyuxegh.jpg

Same here, if done on the lathe. My cost to have it done has almost doubled in the last 5-6 years.

Same here, if done on the lathe. My cost to have it done has almost doubled in the last 5-6 years.

A good gunsmith should expect to be paid on par with other professional tradesman. He shouldn't be expected to work for wages paid to the dog catcher and then have to walk the road side picking up aluminum cans to make ends meet. The rifle will have to be completely stripped down to just the barrel and action (with the trigger/bolt stop removed). Guys carry in rifles to be re-crowned that are wearing a sighted-in scope and, many times lots of other goodies, that they expect to be remounted after the barrel is re-crowned on the lathe. All that takes time, a very precious commodity! The 'style' of the crown has very little effect on accuracy, having it be concentric to the bore is what counts. Last week, I was charged $75 labor for a water softener repair that didn't take an hour.

Shortgrass, the smith I used exclusively 6 years ago has passed. The couple I've found since are in commercial buildings with much more overhead hence higher priced services which I understand. I'm more concerned with loosing a good friend than having to pay more for a crown. Not complaining about the service prices, more missing my friend.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.