Any one shooting the Berger 180 hybrid?

JayR

I bought a box of the Berger 180 grain hybrid target bullet and was wanting to know if anyone is using this for hunting and if so what's the experience. I've read a lot of positive things about the 230 .308 caliber for hunting. What type of expansion can be expected from the 180 at close and far ranges? Would shots on bone be better than organ shots? How would pointing affect either of these? Thanks for the help, just looking for a few answers to help decide if I want to use these or the 168s.

We have used them in the 7mm-300's and a MV of 3150 plus. Expect more expansion on closer shots than a 180 HVLD which makes them a better long range bullet. Put them behind the shoulder for crumpling DRT results. I would avoid the shoulders under 400 yards if possible for best results. I am not a shoulder shooter unless I am so far out past 1000 yards I am concerned with lack of expansion. I believe any fragmenting bullet works best behind the shoulder right into vitals. Expect massive vital damage and animals to not take many steps if any if placed decent.

If your shots are all under 400 or 500 I would opt for the 180 Hunting VLD.

I do not fiddle with bullet tips. I do check them with a staple or needle to assure they are open.

I always opt for the 180's over a 168 if I can especially if elk are in the hunt schedule.

Jeff

We have used them in the 7mm-300's and a MV of 3150 plus. Expect more expansion on closer shots than a 180 HVLD which makes them a better long range bullet. Put them behind the shoulder for crumpling DRT results. I would avoid the shoulders under 400 yards if possible for best results. I am not a shoulder shooter unless I am so far out past 1000 yards I am concerned with lack of expansion. I believe any fragmenting bullet works best behind the shoulder right into vitals. Expect massive vital damage and animals to not take many steps if any if placed decent.

If your shots are all under 400 or 500 I would opt for the 180 Hunting VLD.

I do not fiddle with bullet tips. I do check them with a staple or needle to assure they are open.

I always opt for the 180's over a 168 if I can especially if elk are in the hunt schedule.

Jeff
Jeff, thank you for the information. That is exactly what I was looking for. I plan on shooting the 180s out of either a straight .284, built on a long action, or a .280AI, or possibly out of both, how would you expect a lower velocity, about 2800 FPS, to affect expansion. Thanks again for your insight, it is much appreciated.

Jeff, thank you for the information. That is exactly what I was looking for. I plan on shooting the 180s out of either a straight .284, built on a long action, or a .280AI, or possibly out of both, how would you expect a lower velocity, about 2800 FPS, to affect expansion. Thanks again for your insight, it is much appreciated.

It will help the hybrids up close. But still would shoot the VLD for shots that will be mostly under 400 and the Hybrids on out. If it were me where I look at long range accuracy and low velocity performance at long range first I would be loading the Hybrids.

Jeff

Jeff,

what about using the 180 HVLD with 300 WM (26 in barrel)?

Thanks,

DocB

Doc, I am no fan of high expansion bullets under 210 gr in a 300 win. I feel it cheats the rifle of a lot of killing ability. I go for larger bullets that can fragment off the front 1/2 and still have a chunk to carry on. If you have a 300 win you should give the 215 Berger Hybrid a try. I posted pics from 19 consecutive big game kills at all distances. For now I do not feel there is a better bullet for a 300 win than the 215 Hybrid is a guy is going to even consider a shot past 500 yards. We stones bull elk at 200 and antelope at 1285 with them. The short bearing surface gives great velocity, I have seen 2990's from a few 26" 300 wins but expect 2900 plus with H-1000, the .696 BC bucks the wind, and they have opened at impact velocities under 1700 fps for me on antelope. They are very sought after and hard to find for a reason. But I hear a run is coming soon. Buy some up and try them. If you don't like them I will take them off your hands.

Jeff

Good Morning from Afghanistan Jeff!

I agree with not wasting a barrel and a long range shot with anything less than 210 grains also, but I will use the 208 Amax with pickins are slim. I've read and reread your evaluation on the 215 HVLD and the amazing successes it has brought. Like the rest of the world, I'm waiting for the 215s to bust loose as well as H-1000 and Winchester (WW) brass. (separate question.. is normal Winchester brass the same as WW?)

Most all of my shots will be in the 800-1700 meter range, so the ballistics, aerodynamics and 'sleeping ability' of the heavier VLD-HVLD types are the characteristics that I look for in a bullet.

Thanks for the assist. Have a nice morning up there in cold ole Montana! As soon as I'm done here the wife and horses and I are heading for the Cody area. Not soon enough! lol

Appreciate all the help.

DocB

(separate question.. is normal Winchester brass the same as WW?)

Doc as far as I know it is. But if some really old Winchester brass is used I would check volume to be sure. If the same brass is used during work up it should not matter.

Thank You Doc, stay safe and hope you get back home soon.

Jeff

I appreciate the update on the hybrids- I've been (unnecessarily) loading 162's for hunting with the 7saum. Guess I'll use the 180's for spring bear :)

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.