Any Norther CA hunters here?

KSB209

Spring season is coming and I would like to get out. I have never been turkey hunting and looking for public land. Any info or insight would be much appreciated. Don't need any honey holes or anything but just want to get out and experience a turkey hunt. I'm around the Sacramento area in folsom.

there's BLM land by Collins Lake, Spenceville I believe. But last time I lived in Folsom, there were turkeys everywhere.

Ha. There are turkeys everywhere in town and on private land. Spence Ville and collins lake area are over populated with people. I just want to get away from the crowds if you know what I mean

yeah, that's a tough one. There are a lot of hunters that don't have access to private land to hunt so the the BLM areas are loaded. I think some of the refuges in Colusa and Glenn county allow hunting for turkey. If I were still local, I'd take you to a ranch I have access to in Vacaville.

You can also apply to hunt Consumes River areas, not sure if this year's draw has happened yet. A bit further away, you can hunt Knoxville wildlife area north of Lake Berryessa (but it can get crowded on the weekends).

You can also apply to hunt Consumes River areas, not sure if this year's draw has happened yet. A bit further away, you can hunt Knoxville wildlife area north of Lake Berryessa (but it can get crowded on the weekends).
Yeah I have been applying for those DFG hints in the consumes and kanaka valley for 10 years and haven't ever been drawn. I wish I could just arrow one in my neighborhood. They are all over the place but I think my neighbors might frown on that.

A bit further away, you can hunt Knoxville wildlife area north of Lake Berryessa (but it can get crowded on the weekends).
Just walk a half an hour and leave the masses behind at Knoxville. I hunted there many years ago and my son still does. Bear is abundant there as well. Just find brush and be there at first and last light.

This may not be of much help due to the 2021 fires in both El Dorado and alpine countys, due to the heavy traffic of logging trucks I stayed away, so I don't know how badly the turkey population has been affected, I should think most the birds survived the fires but with the lost habitat its hard to say what's happening, I was fairly successful on the ridges south and west of union Valley reservoir accessed from Pevine ridge, another spot I liked, but again heavly impacted by the fire is is the camp Creek area south east of Sly park resivoir,

This may not be of much help due to the 2021 fires in both El Dorado and alpine countys, due to the heavy traffic of logging trucks I stayed away, so I don't know how badly the turkey population has been affected, I should think most the birds survived the fires but with the lost habitat its hard to say what's happening, I was fairly successful on the ridges south and west of union Valley reservoir accessed from Pevine ridge, another spot I liked, but again heavly impacted by the fire is is the camp Creek area south east of Sly park resivoir,
I have hiked around camp creek area the last few years and never heard a gobble. Always thought it would hold birds but I haven't been successful finding them. The fires ripped through that area and it is almost all clear cut now. I bet there is a few feet of snow there too.

I bet UVR has a ton of snow right now. A buddy that lives just above Placerville has a foot of snow and the storms this weekend will probably bring more. I have no idea what the birds will do with all the snow but I suspect they will migrate down into areas with no snow but that makes it tougher with alll the private land

There is a lot of public land available in your area. I these this on a walk in area on the Sac River. I have had to put in a lot of time to figure them out.
20210424_113516.jpg
20220403_131544.jpg
20220719_221454.jpg