Who here scopes their gun and why?

I've scoped the wife's shotgun.

She ask me to do it last year. She has only been shooting 4 years. With zero gun experience prior to that.

Her reasoning was, "everything I have ever shot has one, why not this too"...so true...so I did!

Mossberg youth 20ga with Primos turkey tube, Mossberg rail and a budget 1x4 from ebay that has a lit reticle.
20190420_140147.jpg
20190420_192150.jpg

It worked just fine too...her first shotgun turkey, took at 15 yards!

Thermal hunt 2 008.jpg I , like you, have vision issues. All my rifles and shotgun are scoped. I have gradually moved up to 20 plus power on all of them except my 22 and 12 gauge. My 22lr is at 16 power. My Versa Max sports an EO Tech. It is my favorite gun. Just point and pull the trigger. The EO really helps you concentrate your pattern. Was amazed shooting skeet. You didn't break the birds you dusted them. TOOOO much fun even dove hunting. Strong believer in the better you can see your target the better shot you can make.

Looks like I will be drill and tapping my old Revelation pump shot gun for my dad. He has killed a bunch of turkeys with it back in the day. He missed every shot last year with either my shotgun and my wifes. So I broke out ol' reliable and he continued to miss this year.

He had his caderac's done last fall, so he can see nowbut at 81yo, I think he is trying too hard which leads to him getting pretty excited...

Any way he is running out of excuses and I want to see him shoot another gobbler.

So my old shotgun wI'll be sporting a scope next spring.

Many of the higher dollar scopes are geared towards long range shooting, so if that's not your thing and 500 yards is barely long range, that kind of scope may not be where you need to put your dollars. Make sure you know what the scope is/does and what you want it to do before pulling the plug. 'Turrets' on high dollar scopes don't do much for you if there isn't a whole lot of other things in terms of know how, much practice, precision reloading, and $ spent to bring the rest of your gear up to par.

I use a red dot for turkeys. No parralax and it doesn't matter where my head is if I can see the dot on target it's a hit. Especially with turkeys I feel it is a the best option. If they catch you moving where I hunt they are gone.
54 here I went from extremely good vision to needing 1.25's to see the screen I'm using to type this. I can still see well at distance but inside of 10' is not what it once was.

I will be 59 this year and have hunted with a red dot for several years. It is fast for target acquisition and hot critical of head placement (heck I shot one with the gun across my chest and my head bent down to see the dot, try that with a scope!)
Between tight patterns and aging eyes it was a no brainier.

I use the Nikon Turkey Pro,whicvh sadly Nikon in their great business sense,has quit making.If you find one used, grab it.E-Bay they go for around $450.00.This scope is rugged, never had a failure.

Attachments

• IMG_0265.JPG
    IMG_0265.JPG
    3.8 MB · Views: 353
I went to a red dot a few years back. Eyes got bad with the close focus. Now they have reversed and I may be able to shoot iron again.

I guess I am odd man out. I still believe shotguns are to be pointed and not aimed. Look at the target not at the sights.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.