any mauser gurus? questions

cowboy717

I'm looking to build matching rifles for me and my girlfriend, wanting to build mausers because I just think they are a handsome gun when customized. I'm a little confused as to what to build off of though, seems like some people like the k98s, vz24s n turks, but they are hard to find. I have found some m24/47s. I have heard that they are an intermediate action n hard to find parts for? I'm looking at building them in gibbs cartridges, but if I get the 24/47 it won't handle the OAL.
So I was thinking a 6mm rem or 257 rob off of the intermediate action.
Any help on custom parts n such would be great, thanks!!

Spend some time here Surplusrifle Forum • Index page
especially here Surplusrifle Forum • View forum - Sporterizing

Tons of information and valuable knowledge base. Also a great place to check and make sure you aren't hacking up a collectible that's worth lots of $!

MidwayUSA and Brownell's both have a lot of good parts. Biggest pick ups are trigger and scope base. EGW makes a good base that's reasonably priced and the Timney triggers are solid.

Find a good gunsmith to bend the bolt handles. Ask for some pictures of their work before you have them do it. That will give you an idea of what you want as well as show you what they're capable of.

Most stock makers inlet for the various Mauser actions as long as you know the model.

I built this on a Turkish Mauser action http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f53/my-latest-59264/

Mausers can make some pretty rifles but it can take a lot to turn a surplus action into a showroom rifle. There's a lot to prepping the action for scope bases, truing the action, lapping lugs and cocking cams and polishing and finishing.

Have you looked at building from a new action? Can't beat a Savage for value but they are definitely function over form. I've heard great things about Howa actions Howa Barreled Actions and Husquvarna On Sale!. Both are pretty reasonably priced and would probably be cheaper and less headache in the long run.

That said, taking the long road can be a very rewarding experience and there's something to be said for pounding a warhorse into a show horse!

Good luck and keep us updated!

I believe that the VZ 24`s are the best for the money on the market today. 1 thing I would point out to you is that if you are going to build bench guns you would be better off to spend more on the a comerical action that already has a good trigger in it and a faster lock time. I built a .35 Whelen on the VZ action, but it`s a hunting rifle and not for extreemly long range. I have 2 reach out and touch them rifles, a 22-6mm and a 6-284. Both of these are on Savage actions. While not the absolute best, I have no trouble changeing barrels on them and even finished reaming the chamber on the 6-284.

If you are going to build a mauser today buy a commercial action. One they don't have
the stripper clip cutout on the left side and two you'll save a lot of money on parts like
the bolt shroud and trigger. Any of the older Brownings are ready to go actions, the
Parker Hales are built on a spanish mauser (civilian) and they are a little soft on the
heat treating. I just had one heat treated properly. Brownells might still be selling new
actions and that would be my choice if they do.
And I agree, they are a nice looking gun. The round feeding is flawless and the bolt
is pretty safe in the way it vents. I think they could be done on modern machines and
be as good as a shooter as any win or rem. sako, etc.. out there. (maybe not a savage,
they seem to be a bit more accurate than most of todays guns out of the box)
My Parker Hale 22-250 has turned in many a .3 group and it's best was .19.

Last edited:
You'll spend more 'sporterizing' a Mauser '98 than you would if you were to shop for a used Rem. 700. The real trick will be finding a military, standard length '98 that's not a rusty piece of junk , those that are 'clean' are on the verg of being collectable. Those 24/47s you spoke of will make a fine sporter when chambered for a cartidge suitable for the magazine, although I wouldn't build one up for a super speed, high pressure wildcat (limitations of the steel from which it's made). Most parts, like triggers and safetys, made for the std. length '98 work just fine on the 24/47. Leupold makes 2 piece mounts that don't require the stripper guide to be removed. CZ-USA sells just actions that are, more or less, "a modern made Mauser"(model 550). Catch is, they are metric threaded. Some 'smiths have metric capabilities, some don't. And, there's not a huge selection of 'drop-in' stocks. I just finished a re-barrel on a CZ 527 (basicly, a mini-Mauser), different than a 700 or 70, but, quit doable.

Last edited:
I would look around for a couple of used JC Higgins mod 50s. These are FN commercial actions, great quality, and drop into any '98 compatible stock. Another option is the Golden State Arms or the Flaig Ace. Both are Spanish made commercial Santa Barbara '98s, and although I've heard reports of poor heat treating I haven't experienced it myself. My 6.5x55 is built on one of these actions and it shoots great. I'm pushing 140grn SSTs at 2860 with no pressure signs and have loaded it hotter but sacrifice accuracy when I edge up over 3000fps.

Check out Gunbroker and search for a remington model 798. These are commercial 98 mauser actions made in Yugoslavia. I have seen a number of these being auctioned for under $300. Replace the barrel and the stock and you have a very sweet rifle.

Given all of the work necessary to sporterize a milsurp mauser, the commercial actions are hard to beat. You will spend less money and end up with a superior rifle.

I am a big fan of mauser rifles and have done several builds on both commercial actions and milsurps. Although I have a sentimental soft spot for the military mausers, I have to admit that the commercial actions are the better way to go.

I just finished a build on a zastava commercial action (the same as the Rem 798 action, just made before the Remington contract). It has a shilen barrel and a bell & carlson stock and is chambered in 6.5x55. It is still undergoing the barrel break-in process, but it is showing a lot of promise. It's a sweet shooter.

I am not a mauser guru. I'm just a hobbyist and, no doubt, a hack in comparison to some of the talented gunsmiths that frequent this forum. Still, I have found the experience of building my own mausers to be very rewarding.

Good luck on your builds!

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.