Any Luck With Interbonds?

168 Triple Bonds and also shot 168 XLC's. Not quite sure which is more accurate in the test rifle, not enough triple bond groups yet.
We also have the 150's Triple Bonds, they are next on the list for chronographing, then the 180's but will shoot them in a magnum.

One more question if you don't mind. How far off the lands do you find they shoot the best? Thanks.

KTG
Since we hunt with our LR rifles we want ammo that will feed through our magazines so in the .308 we standardize on 2.830". We quit messing with O.L., just load to that on a progressive press and have very nice accuracy in several good .308 Win rifles.

We are happy with five shot averages right around 0.5", not benchrest but good for our steel shooting out to 1000 yards. We mostly load 168 and 175 match bullets but load the hunting ammo the same O.L.
Good luck with your load developement.

Ian, I noticed that with your various 308 Winchesters you are quite unconcerned about jump to the lands. How much jump do you have and yet still get these 0.5" 5 shot groups? Are you throat parallel instead of tapered? Rufous.

The 165 gr Interbonds make groups about three to four times the size of my good loads in my 300WSM Savage. I refer to them as my "full choke" loads. More of a shotgun pattern than a rifle group.

Rufous,
I also load right out to the lands by using guages such as the Stoney Point or special chamber guages made for each rifle. Custom barrels are always marked with a hack-saw cut on one end as they are shipped, and this end is always cut off. The cut-off piece can be made into an excellent O.L. guage if the smith simply chambers it identically to the rifle. I have these special guages for most of my custom built rifles.

Since that fitted ammo usually won't fit the magazine I cannot hunt with it so I decided to settle on 2.830" for my O.L.. I quit worrying about how far I am off the lands. Since doing that my accuracy has not changed much. No doubt much of that is because the rifles are very well built and have superb barrels.

I like to call the accuracy as it happens and could not honestly say that I can "average" 1/2'" groups with any of these rigs unless I have been shooting a lot and have my personal skills honed. I find 0.5" accuracy for five shots at 100 yards to be a very difficult standard to try for. Of course the 0.1's and 0.2's that happen are the ones I gloat about, never talk much about the 1.4's and 1.5's but they happen lots, particularly when testing factory ammo.

I have been shooting a lot of factory heavy barrel .308's that acquaintances are buying and we shoot the 2.830" OL through them with excellent accuracy. These are Win. Stealths and Rem. VS, VLS rifles and they all work very well with this OL.

I cannot tell you anything about the throats, just do not know anything about that.

i have never had bad luck with any hornady product ive been using them before most people knew about them just remember their are no garantees i recently tryed 140 barnes xlc in my 7 mm rem mag and i couldnt make them group under an inch at 100 yards to save my life this brings me to my point 9 out of ten times when you find a bullet that your gun dosent like with the most popular powders it probably wont like them any more with a different powder as for the interbond bullets i would recomend backinking up 10 grains in bullet weight from what your rifle normally likes this will account for the difference in bullet length how ever i wouldnt break the bank on any one load my best load in my 7 mag will group three in a3/8" group at 100 yards was found by just putting together a 139 grain sst with71 gr of imr 7828 and a fed 215 gold medal match large mag prmer good luck and good hunting

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.