Any luck with IMR 4831 in a 300 rum?

Maynard300RUM

Due to retumbo not being available I picked up some IMR4831. I haven't had much experience with it and was wondering if any of y'all have? I'll be pushing 180 gr Accubonds (with wlrm primers) in a 700 action, with 24" 1 in 10 twist barrel. Any examples are welcome. It will probably be a couple weeks before I can work up a full ladder and do any real testing.

Due to retumbo not being available I picked up some IMR4831. I haven't had much experience with it and was wondering if any of y'all have? I'll be pushing 180 gr Accubonds (with wlrm primers) in a 700 action, with 24" 1 in 10 twist barrel. Any examples are welcome. It will probably be a couple weeks before I can work up a full ladder and do any real testing.

It's a touch fast for the cartridge, but it should work. Remember the 300rum was originally designed to use Imr 7828 with 180 grain bullets in its factory loads. Imr 4831 is only the next faster powder. Don't expect 3300 fps with a 180 with it though, I'd think you will land at about 3100 fps with your barrel length... Still plenty... hodgdon has data online for your viewing enjoyment...:D

Take Aim at Rifle Reloading Data | Hodgdon Reloading

I'd push your 180's but not go much heavier than that as your powder is on the fast side for the cartridge. We've been shooting the 300rum in a few rifles here for years and never got decent results with lighter than 180 grain pills. Use the fly weight pills in the little cartridges.

I am kinda stuck with this powder for the time being. But I do have some 150 gr. Spire points available that I usually load my dad's 30-06 with. Do you think dropping weight of the pill will help with the ladder range so I might get an extra node to work? I appreciate yalls responses.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.