Any idea on these scopes?

I've seen very similar scopes on sale in the UK - with a Nikko-Stirling label I THINK. The Web site I'd have used to check is offline until Monday 4th July. The 15yard min PX is a bit of a give-away IMO - It's really aimed at top end AIRGUNS.(OK I know S&B's new PM2 has 10m PX too - but for the self same reason)

Might be Japanese - but Chinese is a posibility. I'll guess Asia Optical.

Good value for $200.
Barska, Niko non illuminated ret. Ebay used to be riddled with them about 4 months ago.
Definately Asian sub standard build and quality. Asia Optical have built some good scopes around 94, suspect these are partially or wholly made in China, Singapore and Malaysia.

Now if i aint mistaken thats a chineese knock of of on of the IOR scopes. The chinese are great copiers fo kit, ive seen binoculars that lookes from 5 paces exactly like the Steiner military 7x50's... but one look through them shows the inferior quality.
my advice is.. spend your money on something decent.
Pete

I don't have that one but I use this one on my 50BMJ. sportsman guide
and it has been a very good scope. Optics are ok not as good as my nightforce but good. and it has lots of features.

Boomer

It may be the best scope ever made, but as we know little about them, the only way to find out about quality of optics and build is for you to buy one. This could be a very expensive mistake.

I recommend you should stick with known brands.

Koginam see happy with his scope. Thats a good sign.

Chris in Madrid mentioned that the scope looks like a Nikko-Stirling. Nikko-Stirling is a long standing brand of known quality at about the same level as Simmons but with a version of the Super Snipers thrown in for good measure.

These scopes and the Nikko-Stirling scopes may be made in the same manufacturing facility. There is a caveat. Companies buying from this manufacturer will have to choose the required level of quality and pay accordingly. Hence two scope, from different brands/labels may look the exact same, but one might have very good quality and the other may be crap.

Have a look at http://www.nikkostirling.com/ and see if you find something similar at a price you like.

Rgds

I have to wonder about the quality of the scope at that price. To a degree you get what you pay for. There are good deals to be had out there, but I would stick to a known brand. I have really been impressed with nikon lately. The nikon monarch seems like a good price for its performance level. I got a couple of them at huntersdiscount
I think the price on nikons is especially good for the parralax adjustable models.

contacted sportsman guide and the sales guy said they were made in eastern Europe for them. He didn't know if that is where the glass came from.

I have had good luck so far but I will agree most of the time you get what you pay for.

nikkosniper6-24x42.jpg

This is what I had in mind - similar BUT not the same.
I think these were from the same factory.
nikko10-50x60groupplusmildot.jpg

They were always listed as japanese - but my guess is a mix of Japan (to get the made in Japan sticker) but alot of labour somewhere cheaper.

No longer in the Nikko site as they seem to have made a radical change.

Sure you are right Chris and having regretably owned the big one piccied for 2 months, i could have saved money and had a PR Leupold VX3 20-50 which i now have.
Found this:
-Nikko Stirling International Trading Shanghai Ltd
Room 2406, Lucky Mansion
Shangcheng Road 660
Pudong, Shanghai
200120 China

Some scopes have stickers 'made in Asia' but Asia covers a vast area and not necessarily Japan. Unless specifically stated made in japland i would dismiss this as anywhere in Asia. Would not surprise me if there were any Indian or Pakistan made scopes after all a lot of our businesses are operating from there even 1 of the main 5 banks. Will not support these companies its a lot of hassle to get what you have paid for. Buy from your homeland or those closest to us.

I know that HAKKO were doing alot in CHINA but by doing a % in Japan could use "MADE IN JAPAN" stickers. In the end their quality went to pot - and seems to me thay may have gone to the wall - The website has dissappeared anyway.

Pete L convinced me to go upmarket(he didnt have to try too much though) and I'm waiting for the S&B 5-25*56.

Nontheless I'm convinced there's a market for a decent midrange (not OTT) scope which in Europe seems to be lacking. It's Chinese cack or OTT (S&B et al). Leupies and I dont get on sadly - it's my eyes.

IOR for example seem not to have found a Euro-disti (save a swiss guy who bought from Valdada). I even thought about taking it on - but their min order limits were WAY out of my bracket.

Gerhardt (Nickel Supra) now only seem to sell direct from the factory.

Found a potential source in Moscow with inovative solutions (based on catadioptrics) - but they are simply VERY slow and unresponsive.

I have always liked the Meopta scopes, no frills, European glass as supplied to other producers, just optically excellent at a cheap comparative price even after at least 6 price increases in 8 years, why pay more! Shame they dont do a high mag scope.

You may have found a source in Russia, but how about getting the things out of there!

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.