Does any body use Shades on their scopes?

The only time I use a shade is when I am hunting whitetails from one particular stand on my own land. The sun rises from a direction that makes it very tough if my quarry shows up in that direction.

I use a shade on my scope all the time. I even use them on my light rifles. Maybe the glare on my glasses or the way the sun is here is different, because I never used them before I moved to the southwest.

Just what I do...to each his own.

Jim

I use a 6" shade when varmint hunting to help a little with mirage coming off the chamber area of the bbl and because the sun is not always at my back. I remove it for deer to cut weight and to just get it out of the way.

I have used shades on all my scopes fo the last 15 years, ever sense the lack there of caused the loss of a huge bull elk .As the sun came over the mountian it glared in the old Tasco and befor I could get a shade over it the bull was history.I wouldn't be with out them on any big game rifle or varmit rig.

I'm with Robert A.
Unless you know when and where a target will present itself, it's cheap insurance to have a sunshade. I never leave home without it or Butler Creek flip open lens covers. Two $7 dollar covers protect hundreds of dollars worth of glass!

Yep...I do. a pro and a con. When the scope covers come off and I'm ready to shoot, usually any rain/snow or even sun are kept off the lense. But the extension of the scope is just another piece of leverage to bump the scope off with when you might slip and fall in the snow/ice or hit the floor mounted gear shift lever in the pickup while putting the rifle in the rig. These are things that have happened to me over the years. Mike

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.