Any good books on Internal Ballistics?

ajhardle

Bryan Litz simplified external ballistics enough for me to pretend I'm an expert long range shooter. Has anyone done the same to help my load development?

There are a few good books on internal ballistics w/regard to cartridge design, powder type/burn characteristics, recoil, experiments and observations in gun design, etc.
There are a couple books, and many articles including load development.
But every source I've seen in load development has been very limited in cartridge and applications. Many generalize & assume too much beyond this.

IMO, load development is still an abstract for us as basic component affects have yet to be measured, quantified, and predicted across a gamut of cartridges, systems, and applications.
That is, there is no scientific approach in it yet(which would be a massive expense), and no gov't group benefits in ~1/4moa of field accuracy.
So it's up to us, as individuals, to make it happen or not.

There are anecdotal load development systems, like incremental load development, optimum charge weight, and Audette ladder testing. These approaches work for many, and don't work for many more I'm sure. But there is no predicting results nor acceptance criteria with these approaches. This leads to trial & error(at best), to choosing less than best loads, to tail chasing(at worst).

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts