Any coyote contest hunters here?

Handlebar

2012blanchardcoyotes.jpg

YES!!!!..... Contest season can't ever come fast enough!!! We hunt 6-8 a year. We were huntin the big bobcat contest in San Angelo in March & killed 12 dogs & a cat. My partner thought turn-in was @ noon.... We rolled in @ 11:07 & turn-in was @ 11 

Way to many cheaters in our area so the only contests we enter are the ones where kills have to be filmed.

A contest last year had the top 3 finishers with more than 10 dogs each. When two of those 3 teams were in the next contest where filming was required, one got skunked and the other only got two.

When big money is involved, teams in our area will try and get away with anything they can.

We hunt for fur and dvd footage. Contests just limit the amount of calling you can do and distance you can cover.

Only hunt them if a polygraph gets used. Coyotehunter.net runs some good tourneys if anyone is interested. I honestly wont waste my time hunting small po-dunk bar tourneys. If I end up getting beat, I want to know that I was beat by the best coyote HUNTERS at the tourney, not by bubba and his buddy that have no ethics or respect for the rules.

This coyote contest sounds like fun, is there any rules on guns, ammo, or type of calls. I use my Remington 700 ADL 6mm with 95 gr Nosler balistic tips, the last yote I shot two months ago in the head at 235 yards, blew it's jaw off. I used to go out with electronic calls, but most of the time I'd get the fox hopping into me, not many coyote. Now I listen for them, when I hear them yipping & yelping just before dusk usually when they're locating each other, I'll sneak to the field edge & catch a pair working.

The only restrictions here in PA are when it rains & our powder gets wet, other than that same as Texas...HaHa!!! What caliber rifles do you use, I haven't heard of contests & polygraphs around here, most of us would shoot coyotes without any contests. A friend of mine says VA pays $75 for every coyote brought in, I say we should ship to them to get the bounty.

My buddy and I hunt two a year. The Midwest calling contest here in Kansas, and then the Coyote Craze contest in Scottsbluff, NE. Wish we did more but that would cut into deer hunting and treestand time. They can't start soon enough!

What would you guys think about trying a Gentlemens or Gentlewomans only! online tournament. Here is what I am thinking we would pick a day and hunt sun up to sun down. For the coyotes to count it would have to have a picture taken from your cell phone with a local newspaper on the current date. I think entry would be $30 dollars per team mate. Maximum three man team but could hunt by yourself or with partner or partners, but if you hunt with partners have to hunt together, ie the same stand. The payout would go First place 50%, Second 30%, and 20% for Third. We could pick someone to admin or we could send checks to winners ourselves. The key here is this would be a gentlemens tournament and HONOR would be the driving force behind it and winning would give bragging rights until the next tourny!!! If you think this is something your interested in drop me an e-mail [email protected] and lets see where this goes. I understand that we will need to draw up official rules and set up some sort of governing board but I really think this could be a great time.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.