Any bets?

Cagfd101

Just loaded a few recipes for my son's .308. I want to test a wide range of projectiles and powders to see what the gun really likes. I am just curious if any of you guys want to put your $.02 in before testing commences. Full disclosure, I will be shooting these rounds from a Ruger American Compact. I know these little rifles can outperform their price, as I consistently shoot sub .75 Moa groups with his sister's 7mm-08. The loads will be built as follows, let me know what you think will work the best for pure accuracy and consistency.

All loads using Starline brass, CCI 200 primers, seated to CBOL of 2.200, which is actually the max I can get out of the magazine right now with most of the projectiles.

Nosler 150gr BT on top of IMR 4064
Nosler 150gr BT on top of IMR 4895
Barnes 130gr TTSX on top of Varget
Hornady 178gr ELDX on top of Varget
Hornady 178gr ELDX on top of IMR 4064

I have loaded each test recipe at .2 grain intervals from minimum suggested load to just below max. What recipe do you think will perform the best? Do you guys, especially anyone with lots of .308 experience, have any recipes to suggest? Scheduled to go to the range on Thursday and I can't wait!!

I've had good luck with both IMR 4895 and Varget in multiple .308's even IMR 4350 with lighter bullets (125 grain Noslers). You have the good fortune of reloading for a very forgiving cartridge, in any event. As of late, in my 20" Delta 5, I'm running a 168 ELD-M over 42.0 grains of Varget but it's a wide node all the way up to 44.0 grains. I'll bet you find very satisfactory results quickly with any combination you've listed. Have fun - but don't over think it!

Varget with the ELD-X should be good. I used 43.5 grains of Varget with a 168 a-max for a while, very accurate in my rifle, and about 2675 out of a 20" tube. 4895 has given me good results too, just not as easily as Varget. 4064 never worked good for me in a .308

Just loaded a few recipes for my son's .308. I want to test a wide range of projectiles and powders to see what the gun really likes. I am just curious if any of you guys want to put your $.02 in before testing commences. Full disclosure, I will be shooting these rounds from a Ruger American Compact. I know these little rifles can outperform their price, as I consistently shoot sub .75 Moa groups with his sister's 7mm-08. The loads will be built as follows, let me know what you think will work the best for pure accuracy and consistency.

All loads using Starline brass, CCI 200 primers, seated to CBOL of 2.200, which is actually the max I can get out of the magazine right now with most of the projectiles.

Nosler 150gr BT on top of IMR 4064
Nosler 150gr BT on top of IMR 4895
Barnes 130gr TTSX on top of Varget
Hornady 178gr ELDX on top of Varget
Hornady 178gr ELDX on top of IMR 4064

I have loaded each test recipe at .2 grain intervals from minimum suggested load to just below max. What recipe do you think will perform the best? Do you guys, especially anyone with lots of .308 experience, have any recipes to suggest? Scheduled to go to the range on Thursday and I can't wait!!
My $.02 is on the 130gr TTSX launched with Varget....keep us posted 👊🏻. I'll get you account info after range day & you can deposit my winnings 😉

I've not had too much luck with the 178 ELDX, myself. I always found better loads with other bullets when I was experimenting with them. That goes for 3 different 308s, a 300WSM, and a 300 WM. Maybe I didn't work hard enough on them, but whatever. I think your Ballistic tip loads are going to be the best of what you've shown so far....
Other loads....168 ELDM over 44 grains of varget has been a winner for me. Same with 168 AMax, and 168 Berger classic hunters.

Never been a fan of the heavies for 308. I think the 150 gr Nosler BT are the best combos you've listed. As far as powder, use which ever shoots best.

I have had good luck with the following;
Lupua Palma brass
GM205M primer
IMR 8208 XBR 42,5 gr
Hornady 178 gr ELD Match
stdev. 4.6
ES 10
Shoots 1 1/2" groups at 400 yards

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts