Any 9.3x62 shooters on here?

I have a beautiful left handed zastava M70 in 9.3x62. It has hunted elk in Colorado, deer in Virginia, and 9 different species in Africa. It weighs 8.25 pounds with Talley mounts and a 3-9x40 VX3.
I really only use two powders but have tried at least five. CFE223 for the 250 grain bullets and Big Game for the 286's. Reloder 17 worked well but wasn't as easy to load as the Big Game. If I had to choose bullets it would be the 250TTSX, and the 286 Nosler Partition. I was the first customer and design influence for the hammer 258gr after a 250gr accubond failed to exit a bull elk. Other bullets I've tried:
Norma 285 Alaska
Norma 285 oryx
Swift 286 Aframe
Speer 270 hot core

I have a beautiful left handed zastava M70 in 9.3x62. It has hunted elk in Colorado, deer in Virginia, and 9 different species in Africa. It weighs 8.25 pounds with Talley mounts and a 3-9x40 VX3.
I really only use two powders but have tried at least five. CFE223 for the 250 grain bullets and Big Game for the 286's. Reloder 17 worked well but wasn't as easy to load as the Big Game. If I had to choose bullets it would be the 250TTSX, and the 286 Nosler Partition. I was the first customer and design influence for the hammer 258gr after a 250gr accubond failed to exit a bull elk. Other bullets I've tried:
Norma 285 Alaska
Norma 285 oryx
Swift 286 Aframe
Speer 270 hot core
I will say the zastava has quite a thin barrel and I had mine glass bedded and had to work through some difficulty with certain bullets shooting 2+1 groups.

Attachments

• IMG_1055.jpeg
    IMG_1055.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 31
  • IMG_1056.jpeg
    IMG_1056.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 39
Last edited:
I will say the zastava has quite a thin barrel and I had mine glass bedded and had to work through some difficulty with certain bullets shooting 2+1 groups.
About 20 years ago 1 bought a brand new still in cosmolime with all accessories including Bayonet, scabbard and all leather. All accessories were ww2 vintage. But they came with an unissued k98m48 8mm Mauser. I demilitarized it and built a sporter. I didn't pay but 300 all numbers matching.
I can put it back the way it was but it does a number on deer. The steel butplate is a little tough when I'm on the range.

I'd pick the 35 whelen because I already own one in a Tikka T3X and it's a great rifle. 180gr TTSX @3075 fps is a lazer for whitetails. I'm working on 250gr loads for elk

Last edited:
I have the Ruger African bolt model, I've used it for whitetails the last 2 seasons, thinking of using it for black bear in Canada this year. Both bucks taken with Geco 255 grain softpoints, very decisive killer. I really like the rifle and cartridge.