Antelope bullet

Nice varmit in avatar.I grew up with 243,many mentioned here to 4-500.My go to is 257 wby with 110AB.But if windy much and im trophy hunting I use my 338NM,Ive missed lot of wind reads on east side.You can be on ravine and read small wind,but wind blowing up ravine.Cost me goats like Naja's.

As mentioned in a previous post, a 70 gr Hammer Hunter may be your best choice for a mono. I'm going to try the 80 gr HH in my new 243 ai with 26" 8 tw barrel. Hoping for accuracy @3600-3700fps. In my 9.25 tw I couldn't get a decent group with the 95 gr vld but could with the classic hunter.
I also use my 25-06 with 100 grain has also worked nosler bt

Sierra 85Gr BTHP GameKings are fantastic. the 90 grain Scirocco and Accubonds both work very well. 85, 95, and 100 grain Partitions and the 85 grain Barnes TSX are good. Out to 400 the Accubond is probably the best choice on paper, but I would be choosing between the 85 grain GameKing and 85 Partition. We have killed scores of critters from 10 to 400 yards and 50 to 250 pounds with these bullets without a failure or unacceptable meat damage.
How about the 87gr v-max

I'm looking for advise on a 243 antelope bullet. I've got a rem model 7 predator. It's supposed to have a 1:9 twist. From what I read antelope are not tough to kill, so much of what I read suggests ballistic tips and such. I'm not opposed to using them, but in my experiences (with other calibers) they cause an excess of meat damage. I was thinking 95g partition?Ive never shot partitions before in any caliber. Was thinking that bullet could work for WI whitetail as well. I reload. Your thoughts?
I'm looking for advise on a 243 antelope bullet. I've got a rem model 7 predator. It's supposed to have a 1:9 twist. From what I read antelope are not tough to kill, so much of what I read suggests ballistic tips and such. I'm not opposed to using them, but in my experiences (with other calibers) they cause an excess of meat damage. I was thinking 95g partition?Ive never shot partitions before in any caliber. Was thinking that bullet could work for WI whitetail as well. I reload. Your thoughts? View attachment 188910
Hunting antelope yearly for decades I have found you need a bullet that doesn't produces a lot of meat damage, there is not a lot of meat on a antelope to start with. 90 grain Scirocco , 80 grain Barnes TTSX BT, 80 or 88 gr Hammer Hunter all fit the bill nicely, I have had horrible results with the lighter weight Berger bullets, dead animals? certainly, but the waste of meat is unacceptable for me.

How heavy could I go with a hammer hunter in my 1:9 barrel? I know what their website suggests. If I follow that I'd be shooting the 80g. Even the 88g says it won't stabilize in my barrel. Any experience with shooting the 88g or 101g in 1:9 twist?
the 80 grain hammer hunter is a tremendous bullet my son is using it in a 6br in the 243 the velocity you would get should over come the lose of bc out to 400 - 500 yds and they kill very well he has been taking a lot of hogs with them call steve at hammer bullets for his opinion super nice guy and very helpful their customer is second to none

.243 is a great caliber for pronghorns. Very flat shooting, but 400 yds will have a lot of drop and drift just about whatever your BC bullet choice. Try to stay within 300 to 350 yds if you can. You won't get much meat damage, if any, with good shot placement and pronghorns are not hard to kill.

Speer 90 grain Deep Curl did a pretty good job on one at about 265 yards. I usually use a .270 or 25-06, but one shot from the 243 anchored a nice nice goat with one shot. Also nailed a 250 pound white tail at 225 yards with the same load. Antelope are not that hard to put down with a well placed shot. If you are not sure of your shot- wait- another will usually be along soon. Good luck on your hunt ant above all enjoy yourself.

One thing I've found out about winds out west is that mainly they are pretty sustained. It's winds that gust making wind holds unpredictable. I've also shot and killed in readable sustained winds but not 50mph. Typically 20/25 Max if my shots will be at any range. Those must be steady winds or I just will not shoot. Here in my home state, winds aren't nearly as sustained with gusting winds being more predominant. In the case here ill usually only take game shots in 10-15mph max winds.

Here we learn to adapt. 😇

MT AVG winds.JPG

Here is what I have taken away so far. Antelope are not tough to kill, and don't have to be taken at extreme range. There is no magic bullet that is going to answers all my expectations. Just about any bullet will work (hence the vast suggestions on this thread). Find a reputable bullet that shoots great in my rig and practice practice practice.
You got it. Good luck.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.