Another season done...

KSCHEVY

And yet again no deer in the freezer, it's been six years now. Public land is almost non existent around here and only one small area allows rifle hunting that I'm aware of. I've never had any luck there and generally resort to the family farm. I've only seen two deer the last two years. A small doe last year and the shot wasn't right, through some timber and the 30-30 was at home.

Thursday afternoon I wasn't in the blind ten minutes and this decent body small rack buck comes walking across the corn field. Around 3:00, He was on the far end, a good 250 plus out. With This new vortex I was facing the sun and fighting the glare. Had about a five second window where it could of worked but i waited it out. He started walking towards the hill/tree line out of the line of fire from the sun... Promising!

Sum buck made it and as soon as I had him I the reticle he dove in the brush to never be seen again in my eyes.... Sigh. It's been a long frustrating six years and I'm kicking my *** for not sending it when I had the chance. Let's hope lucky year number seven pays off. May have to get a bow to try and dust off the black powder I've never shot.

I'm sure I'm not the only one here...

Well heck. No, you're not the only one who's ended the season without venison in the freezer.

After six or seven years of no venison though... It's past time to change something.

I like your idea of trying bow hunting or muzzle loading, but also consider changing areas. It really is okay to take a week off work, and go hunt someplace where there is more game or better hunting conditions. In my case, I enjoy some decent hunting here at home in central Washington, but every other year I treat myself to a trip to Wyoming, for some really good hunting! It's worth every penny, and every hour on the road.

Consider treating yourself to a week or ten day hunt, someplace rich with game.

Best of luck next time. Regards, Guy

Well heck. No, you're not the only one who's ended the season without venison in the freezer.

After six or seven years of no venison though... It's past time to change something.

I like your idea of trying bow hunting or muzzle loading, but also consider changing areas. It really is okay to take a week off work, and go hunt someplace where there is more game or better hunting conditions. In my case, I enjoy some decent hunting here at home in central Washington, but every other year I treat myself to a trip to Wyoming, for some really good hunting! It's worth every penny, and every hour on the road.

Consider treating yourself to a week or ten day hunt, someplace rich with game.

Best of luck next time. Regards, Guy

Maybe someday I could afford to splurge, but not right now. Beautiful country up there, I've watched plenty of YouTube videos. Just curious how much do you spend out of state? Guided?

There is about 1 million acres of WIHA in KS loaded with critters. You may have to hit the western part of the state but you are very close to public land that has 200" whiteys and 240" muleys running around on it.

Don't underestimate the power of knocking on doors either.. Make up a typed "Resume" about yourself to hand to the landowner... just a short description of who you are, your contact info, your hunting background, how ethical you are, and all that, maybe what vehicle you drive etc.... Little things can go a long way. Also, network with others. That great aunt of your coworker who still owns 75 acres but never uses it can be a good hunting resource.
-Jake

I know I'm late to the thread

+ 1 on trying your hand at archery hunting. I see so many more deer archery hunting then rifle hunting. Pretty cool to see bucks chasing doe's around.

Another option would be to try and make the family farm more deer friendly. Not sure if its family that lets you come down and hunt or the type of place that they would let you start building stands, cutting trees, planting food plots, and making certain deer trails more attractive then others to the deer. If its the ladder I would try my hand at that. My cousin has a small property she lets me hunt but doesn't care what I do in the woods.(they aren't hunters). So me and a friend are looking to do everything I just stated. Was even looking at small tractors last night for food plots.

Maybe someday I could afford to splurge, but not right now. Beautiful country up there, I've watched plenty of YouTube videos. Just curious how much do you spend out of state? Guided?
Not the same as deer hunting, but if you want some meat in the freezer you'd be hard pressed to beat getting a doe antelope tag for Wyoming. They only run about $30 and success rates are 90+%. Look into it.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.