223 gets it done

Bowyer

My wife is on a doe cull hunt at a high fence property in Oklahoma this weekend and she is trying out a rifle I recently purchased. It is a Remington Model Seven in 223.

I've always thought that the 223 was too small to hunt deer with until I bought this rifle. I started asking around and have heard great stories about the effectiveness of this little round.

She is using Hornady 55 grain SP and as of right now she has taken 5 does with the 223. Four were DRT and the 5th she had to blood trail about 40 yards. She was so excited after the first that she sent this pic to show me the hole that it made.
deer hole.jpg
I bought this rifle for a friend that was looking for one and was going to sell it to him. I think he is going to be still looking for one.:D

I bought a .223 Savage Axis late lastyear. It shoots great, 1-9 twist barrel. I have never shot a Deer with a .223. My buddies have , excellant success stories and no horror stories. I would use mine. Your wife is getting it done!gun)

Yes sir. I have been using my 223 at for a while now. Funny part is the first time I brought it on a pig hunt the guide did not approve. After a morning hunt he changed his mind. After several years of using it we found it boils down to bullet selection. I say this because **** placement is always important. If using varmint rounds though they do work you need to connect to in the neck or base of the skull. If you start shooting partitions, fusion s, or Barnes you can shoot them right behind the shoulder and in some cases right through. We have fairly large deer in Mich and have no problem with the 223.

I have used the 223 on everything from prairie dogs to deer to antelope and coyotes,the only thing I ever had that wasn't DRT was a few coyotes and they didn't go but a few yards.I am sold on the caliber but bullet selection is important.

I shot two does when I was 12 at around 100 yds. I used federals 55 gr. soft points and the one doe was shot in the heart and still went 80 yds. Pencil hole in pinkie finger hole out with a few drops of blood and hair. only way I found it was the white belly in a CRP field. The other was neck shot and dropped on the spot. I would shoot for the neck or brain if I every used it again. Just too small for me unless you have a open area to watch the deer drop.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.