Another mainstream gunwriter going after long range hunting....

Nonya, I don't disagree that we all have the right to express our opinion. However, when a guy sets out to write articles for major publications he should at least have a decent level of knowledge about what he is writing about...... IMHO.

We should just be happy there are guys writing about shooting and hunting in a positive light,we cant expect them all to agree,Im sure there are hunting methods/practices many of us dont agree with(I know its true for me) and I know I dont want people calling me anti because of itgun)

We should just be happy there are guys writing about shooting and hunting in a positive light,we cant expect them all to agree,Im sure there are hunting methods/practices many of us dont agree with(I know its true for me) and I know I dont want people calling me anti because of itgun)

Having an opinion about something and discussing it in the right place is one thing, publishing that opinion where it can be grabbed by antis and used against us all is not a good thing for us IMHO. I believe that to be especially true when that opinion is apparently not very well researched.

There are many activities involving the great outdoors that some people would like to see shut down and any ammo that they find to further their cause will eventually be used against everyone involved in that activity. It used to be that if you didn't agree with something you just didn't participate in that activity. In the world we live in today there are people that when they don't like something they will try to prevent everyone from being able to participate that activity

Gus

A 'gun article' author, published in hunting and shooting articles has responsibilities that go above and beyond mine or yours. They're provided a pulpit to preach from, and there are responsibilities inherent with those positions of employment. Which is why they can lose their jobs for publishing 'their opinions' when viewed as harmful or alienating by a sufficiently large percentage of their readership and supporting advertisers.

That's the difference between me spouting my opinion and them spouting theirs. Same with authors of articles published in the press, or newscasters on the evening television news. Same with preachers from their pulpits. They compromise the respectability of themselves, their employers, their supporters, and they will pay the penalty. There's been any number of these firings over the years, and there will be more to come. That seems exactly how it should work under a democracy and free enterprise economy.

Ask Mr. Zumbo how the system works. I think he probably was truly sorry for publishing his opinions, after he realized how many ethical hunters were using their 'black' rifles for hunting. People that shared the love of hunting and shooting. That simply had the preference to go about it a little bit differently, with a different weapon. We all need to practice 'live and let live', provided the means and methods are legal. Our society does a fairly decent job of outlawing methods which an overwhelming majority deem to be 'improper'. It's not a perfect system, but it's better than most. Gun writers shouldn't up the ante on matters pertaining to means and methods to suit their personal preferences when their preferences needlessly harm others' enjoyment of legal shooting and hunting activities. That's the gripe being expressed in this Thread, as I understand it.

Last edited:
On one hand I can see where they are coming from. A lot of idiots out there. But really People killed elk at 300 yards all the time In Northern Arizona with bone stock winchester model 70's that shot maybe 2 MOA With today's boomers shooting VLD at 1/4 MOA or less 1000 yards isnt THAT big of a deal. Now environmental start to get huge but I mean with the kestrels and ballistics software come on. And in fact I would even say that Long range guys on here probably have a higher fast kill rate than the millions of bubbas out there chasing white tail with .410's and 30 year old remingtons wearing 90 dollar scopes. :rolleyes:

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.