Another ES/SD question ...

MSU Marksman

Lets say I found a load that has extremely low ES/SD numbers, but I'm either not a fan of the bullet or it's not grouping well.

Could I expect that switching to another bullet manufacture, with the same bullet weight, that the ES/SD would stay the same?

What about bullet seating depths. Would seating depths have an impact on ES/SD?

Another bullet manufacturer is not usually the issue, another type of bullet (regardless of manufacturer) is more likely the thing to consider if changing bullets is what you want to do. You'll find a difference between tangent and secant ogive bullets, flat based and boat tail bullets (Berge VLD's as an example) and whether the bullet is lead core or solid.
Yes, you will certainly find that varying seating depths will affect your ES/SD values.
My recommendation is to work toward a load that groups well, then play with seating depths. Usually varying seating depths about .006 on each side of a load that looks pretty good provides an adequate data set. ES and SD, while not linearly comparable, are relative but try not to get hung up on those until you've got something that prints well on target.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.