another hBn question

slowdown

When using an hbn coated barrel how durable is the coating if non plated bullets are also fired in the barrel at >= 3,000 fps. Specifically a .222 and a 25-06? If this has already been discussed I couldn't find the thread.
Carl

I dont have a round count for you, personally I wouldn't shoot more than 10 if I had to shoot them. I wouldn't ever do that though.

I dont have a round count for you, personally I wouldn't shoot more than 10 if I had to shoot them. I wouldn't ever do that though.

That is sort of what I thought. The main reason for shooting these uncoated rounds are the ammo is about the price of the brass for the .222 and I have 25-06 rounds left over from an ole shooting buddy that I reloaded for who left this world with ALS before he had a chance to use them.

It's not a real big deal. You can always decopper and re-treat. It's something I do after 4-500 rounds anyway.
I just wouldn't shoot a match or count on it to make a critical longrange shot.

That's probably what I would do. Just pull them and start over, including powder charge.
Thanks again. That will be my plan for the 06. I'll just shoot a few of the factory load .222's as I shoot my loads. Actually I am pleasantly surprised at the accuracy of those factory loads. Wouldn't use them for whitetail hunting unless I had to. My reloads are hbn coated Barnes TSX screaming into where the crosshairs are centered. My thanks.
C.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.