Another accubond question

Elkaholic,

It seems to me that the partition style would be the best of both worlds. You can make the front of the bullet as soft as you like for extreme ranges while the partion portion of the bullet will remain in tact for the close/high velocity impacts. Very cool!

Does your partition variety have a plastic tip and a boattail?

Cross

Ya, that's exactly the idea! It will expand as well as my conventional bullet back to the partition and then stop. It has a rebated boat tail and a metal ballistic tip in a VLD design:D
p.s. It will also be bonded. A little time consuming and spendy to build but what a combo. This would totally eliminate the need for any other hunting bullet, IMO......Rich

Elk,

Why do you want to bond it (like an A-Frame?)? Won't the partition keep it together for penetration at close range? Won't bonding the front portion of the bulletake it harder and less likely to deform at long range? I think you have a great idea here but don't understand the necessity to bond the bullets.

if an H-Mantle bullet hits at high velocity, chances are the partition will rupture when that happens penetration stops NOW!
a bonded bullet may hit at high velocity and become a mangled mess of lead and copper but it holds togather and keeps penetrating
recovery.jpg

the accubond pictured at far right was fired into a green hard maple tree at 3520 fps, it expanded to .658 and retained 63% of its weight, as my dad would have said, a partition couldn't have made that trip.
This is the only accubond I've ever recovered, and I've taken around 30 head of game with them.
RR

Elk,

Why do you want to bond it (like an A-Frame?)? Won't the partition keep it together for penetration at close range? Won't bonding the front portion of the bulletake it harder and less likely to deform at long range? I think you have a great idea here but don't understand the necessity to bond the bullets.

I have a unique way of forming a partition that somewhat necessitates bonding. I can also serrate the nose for low velocity expansion and the meplat is quite wide which also helps. You are correct in assuming that bonding is NOT necessary for long range (low velocity) but it helps considerably at higher velocities. The long range bullets that I normally shoot are not bonded, but that is because I'm quite sure that I won't be taking close up shots. When I do, as was the case with a Mt. elk this fall, I aim for the ribs. That bull went down without taking a forward step. The lungs were jello! (90-100 yds.)...Rich

For the real question at hand , not to interupt elkaholic but you can go back to a standard nosler or combined technologies ballistic tip and they will peel back down to about 1400fps and in most cases have the same bc's per weight, but they are a little harsher up close, they sometimes get a little messy! Maybe that'll work till elk starts selling bullets.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.