Annealing for hunting

outdoorguyBP

So I used to shoot so much more than I do now……sad I know, but life, costs, availability, other hobbies and what-not take a toll. Looking to shed a few things and instead of just lurking on here I need to get my post count up so I can log some items in the classified. Now that I am not shooting 100-200 rounds a week/month and have my hunting loads with round counts in the 50-100 loaded and ready, my AMP is just not getting the use. So here it is….what are people's thoughts on annealing for hunting loads

I stumbled on an article last night. I think it was on rifle shooter. They compared the es sd of annealed versus non annealed brass. There was a small difference. Minimizing how much you work the brass made a difference.The larger the case the more difference as well. The real question is will it make a difference in the field for you. If your a serious long range hunter it will. For the average joe not so much.

I don't bother annealing hunting loads for Rifles that i don't shoot a lot. My 264 WinMag brass will turn 40 this year. But Ive only shot 30 rounds in the last 20yrs. I shot my 7STW about the same till I started new load development 8 years ago and had a few split necks in my 30+ year old 8mm Mag brass I had necked down. I threw the three splits in the trash and annealed all I had remaining. That should probably last me the rest of my life. I used to anneal my competition brass after every match (because everyone said I should). Then I stopped to see what would happen to my ES/SD and accuracy. I use bushing dies, minimum bump, and my most accurate powder charge is a full grain under max. i feel I'm working the brass so little that frequent annealing is not necessary. I just mark my brass in the extractor groove with a spring center punch so I can keep my brass sorted by number of times fired. To date Ive never had a split and my groups are Still great after 9 reloads. Now I retire brass only for loose primer pockets.

So I used to shoot so much more than I do now……sad I know, but life, costs, availability, other hobbies and what-not take a toll. Looking to shed a few things and instead of just lurking on here I need to get my post count up so I can log some items in the classified. Now that I am not shooting 100-200 rounds a week/month and have my hunting loads with round counts in the 50-100 loaded and ready, my AMP is just not getting the use. So here it is….what are people's thoughts on annealing for hunting loads
I actually bought one for all my hunting brass I load.
I got tired of losing good brass to split necks.
I don't target shoot very much and the way things are going with availability of brass and prices going through the roof I am glad I have something to prolong the life of my brass

I guess my thinking was high volume shooting and reloading. The working the brass far more in the course of a year than what I would for a hunting rifle.

I have a amp I bought two years ago and love it. Bought it for my competion loads and ended up using it on ever rifle round I load. My thought is since I already bought it myswell use it on everything. Can't say if it makes my groups truly better but I can tell difference in feel seating bullet. My hunting rounds that's been amped everything seat smoother and more consistently by feel then the same old 30.06 peices we've been using forever. But have killed allot in the past with them old peices of brass before annealing.

I say keep it and use it. I went through a slow spell of not shooting much due to work. I'm happy to say I shoot much more now/again. We're all with you on the cost…it just plain sucks.

All the new tech on bullets and rifles have kept me way more interested. I'm looking to build my first custom bolt gun soon and that has me really excited to do more shooting this spring. I'm looking to build a .308 so it's not too insane (price wise) for a lot of distance practicing. I can freshen up with my bigger hunting rigs in the late summer and be ready for hunting season in the fall. With all that being said, I will be using my annealer for all the loading I plan to do.

Maybe find a way to shoot more?

I say keep it and use it. I went through a slow spell of not shooting much due to work. I'm happy to say I shoot much more now/again. We're all with you on the cost…it just plain sucks.

All the new tech on bullets and rifles have kept me way more interested. I'm looking to build my first custom bolt gun soon and that has me really excited to do more shooting this spring. I'm looking to build a .308 so it's not too insane (price wise) for a lot of distance practicing. I can freshen up with my bigger hunting rigs in the late summer and be ready for hunting season in the fall. With all that being said, I will be using my annealer for all the loading I plan to do.

Maybe find a way to shoot more?
Sounds like good advice!!! Shooting more always makes one happy! Appreciate the comments all

I have an amp I bought two years ago and love it. Bought it for my competion loads and ended up using it on ever rifle round I load. My thought is since I already bought it myswell use it on everything. Can't say if it makes my groups truly better but I can tell difference in feel seating bullet. My hunting rounds that's been amped everything seat smoother and more consistently by feel then the same old 30.06 peices we've been using forever. But have killed allot in the past with them old peices of brass before annealing.
When I starting using an Arbor press with dial gauge it confirmed seating pressure consistency, from the AMP machine. And bushing / mandrels of course.
No more culling out oddballs.

Last edited:
I guess my thinking was high volume shooting and reloading. The working the brass far more in the course of a year than what I would for a hunting rifle.
I use annealing only for initial forming and later to reset from work hardening.
Whether you want to manage your brass as hard or soft (in the long term) is a choice that doesn't matter as long as your load development holds as valid to your plan.
You develop with high tension, or low, and stick with it.

One thing I learned reading on the amp annealing site was that contrary to popular opinion work hardened brass has less tension in their testing if brass is being resized. Especially without a mandrel or expander ball.